Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently painted my brake calipers red to match my car in mid-december. Well, it has been snowy, and with school and everything, I have been extremely busy. I havn't had a chance to wash my car until today.

I only go to the quarter wash places, because it's no touch. I started to wash my front wheels, when the painted started flaking off with it too! [:(!]

So, now I need to redo my calipers, but I was wondering a good paint to use...you know, something that will be "permanant." Cost doesn't matter much, as I see this as a very easy and noticable modification. Thanks for your help!

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
What kind of paint did you use? Go to www.focusperformance.com and look in their paint section, you'll find high temperature paint made for brake calipers, $6.95 a can and I believe I saw red. If you look around I know others sell brake caliper paint this is just one I knew offhand.

Be sure to clean them really good before painting or no matter what you buy the paint won't stick. Some use brake cleaner spray to clean with first.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used engine paint, good to 1000 degrees F. It was a nice red color. I cleaned the entire caliper with brake cleaner and a wire brush very, very well before even attempting to paint. Should I prime the brake first? My brakes aren't smooth, they have a rough texture to it, so could this be the cause of it coming off?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Check out redlinetuning.com

·
Registered
705 Posts
Shoulda primed it , or used caliper paint that takes the abuse of bake dust or both thats how I painted my boys calipers and his car gets pressure washed everyweek no flakes

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Infra-Red SVT, have you used that paint before on that website? If so, did you prime it first, or just go to town.

If i primed it before I put any version of paint on, would that make a difference for better/worse?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts