Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im a total newbie to tuning cars[scratch] that have to be smogged especialy in cali[read][rant] so i have no idea what to do.
i want to build a engine like i was able before in my old cars but i want to pass smog what can i do?[pray]

can i put a cam in it what are smog legal cams?
bigger injectors how big can i go?
upgrade internals? (pistons ,rods, crank, block. balancing?)
hi flow cats are they legal where can i get a cali legal one?
port and polish head and intake?
higher compression how high before its not legal or removes too much reliabilty?
headers which are smog legal?
high rev valve springs?
stroking or over boring the engine is it legal and where would i get over sized pistons or longer rods?
turbo or supercharge?
ecu tuning who can get max performance while keeping it legal and where do i get the tuner?
ive read about tom and randy i think i like tom better for the free updates

what are some other mods i can make that i dot no of[idea]

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
You have to pass a visual inspection at the SMOG station, as well as a sniffer test, so it not only has to preform up to standards but also has to look the part.

can i put a cam in it what are smog legal cams?
bigger injectors how big can i go?
upgrade internals?

You can do these as long as it passes the exhaust sample test.

There is no such thing as a CA legal HFC, if you touch the cat you're setting yourself up for biiiiiiiiiiig problems.

port and polish head and intake?

P&P is fine, intake isn't... unless it's CARB rated.

higher compression how high before its not legal or removes too much reliabilty?

Again, as long as it passes the exhaust test, you're fine. Run it too rich and it won't pass.

headers which are smog legal?

Technically there is no such thing, only header that you can pass as legal is the SVT header and even that has to be hidden by heat shields and whatnot.

high rev valve springs?
stroking or over boring the engine is it legal and where would i get over sized pistons or longer rods?

Pass the sniffer and you're fine.

turbo or supercharge?

No turbo is legal, and only superchargers with CARB approval can pass

ecu tuning who can get max performance while keeping it legal and where do i get the tuner?
ive read about tom and randy i think i like tom better for the updates

what are some other mods i can make that i dot no of[idea]

You can take it to whomever you'd like, Randy would be my first choice, then Top Speed. I wouldn't trust my car to Tom, but that's just me.

You'll also want to upgrade the transmission with a differential, better gear ratios and a better clutch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah upgrading the trans is a given because it will become the weak point

i went to one of the advertized sites and they had a bolt on "ford racing" head are those legal

what about aluminum radiators

and disk brake conversions

im glad supercharges are i preffer a super to bad i was curios about turbos

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm assuming that hi dez means High Desert. If your out in a way off county you may not have to SMOG. I know one of the local members here who doesn't have SMOG in his county.

Me personally I just take my stuff off every other year and have it SMOG tested.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts

There is no such thing as a CA legal HFC, if you touch the cat you're setting yourself up for biiiiiiiiiiig problems.
Not true. the Magnaflow CA legals are high flow

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
So no one in California has an aftermarket turbo on their car? Lol that sucks.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm assuming that hi dez means High Desert. If your out in a way off county you may not have to SMOG. I know one of the local members here who doesn't have SMOG in his county.

Me personally I just take my stuff off every other year and have it SMOG tested.
i know Shasta county dont have to smog unless u buy or sell at least thats what my brother in-law said

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i live in the San Bernardino county and we still have to smog our cars every 2 years unless its below a 98 i think, any older then its every year

i just don't want to have to take my car apart every other year if i don't have to[bath]
Ive had smog controlled cars i currently own a 98 jeep Cherokee 4x4 i just never put performance parts on

this is what i do know

cat back exhausts are legal as long as they have a muffler

cold air intakes are ok as long as they incorporate all factory sensors and hoses

but i think Ive herd that doing anything to the brakes is illegal like a mustang swapping to 5 lug

and i didnt know about the radiator thats why i asked and i dont think any ones an ass unless they call some one a retard or idoit or try to prove them selves better

·
Registered
128 Posts
cat backs are legal but be sure your aren't too loud or you'll get cited for excessive noise. Remember though, don't touch the cats!!!
for a cai you HAVE to make sure the carb number is included. If not you'll be swapping your stock intake back on every other year.
You can do whatever you want to your brakes. You don't have to smog those.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts