Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2.3 PZEV and was wondering how to check the air filter. I know its in the sealed box and has the little indicator to tell you when you need to replace. I loked at it and its confusing. How do you know the condition of the filter??

·
Registered
103 Posts
Under normal conditions the air filter should last 100,000mi. The air filter itself takes up most of the front driver side fender space (between outer and inner fender). To check the air filter the car has to be running, look at the gage and if in the Green zone the air filter is good, if in the Yellow zone it will need to be replace soon, Red zone replace now. The air filter is around $300 to replace but if you don't live where its dusty all time you may be able to go 150,000mi plus before it needs to be replaced. HTH!

Rick

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured that there would be a green, yellow, and red. The yellow section is in the green. What does that mean?

·
Scuba Edition
1,694 Posts
The yellow section is the reader. If its in the green then your good to go. If it gets into the red then you need to replace it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. That makes more sense. Another quick one... Does it usually take a couple seconds for the PZEV to start?

·
Scuba Edition
1,694 Posts
PZEV stands Partial zero-emissions vehicle. IDK about all the systems on the vehicle that help give it that emissions rating but the catalytic converters are the main elements and they don't work until they are fully warmed up. That is why our cars idle very high when they first start up. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Under normal conditions the air filter should last 100,000mi. The air filter itself takes up most of the front driver side fender space (between outer and inner fender). To check the air filter the car has to be running, look at the gage and if in the Green zone the air filter is good, if in the Yellow zone it will need to be replace soon, Red zone replace now. The air filter is around $300 to replace but if you don't live where its dusty all time you may be able to go 150,000mi plus before it needs to be replaced. HTH!

Rick
HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND????

Air filters are NOT intended to last 100K miles... standard maintenace is to change them between 25-25k at the MOST depending on driving conditions.

Also They are only around $50 or less to replace them $50 being a K&N high flow filter... you can sometimes get cheap paper filters for around $10.

$300 for an air filter..... you seriously need to just say NO to drugs.

EDIT.. Well... I learned something new today... sorry about the rant.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually because it is the PZEV the filter is a sealed box and is around 300 to replace. Emissions contol in california is crazy. (my car is from cali)

·
Registered
471 Posts

Rick
Hey. I hope you are kidding man!!! Some people might take that information and live with that, thinking that it should be replaced every 100k.

You should replace every 25-30k, but just look at the filter and see if it is dirty. If so replace it. Even if you are in doubt, still replace it because they are not that expensive and it is only going to do better, that worse

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Actually because it is the PZEV the filter is a sealed box and is around 300 to replace. Emissions contol in california is crazy. (my car is from cali)
Wow.. REALLY?!?!

In that case... junkyard -> filter off of non PZEV -> K&N -> money in pocket -> happy driver [:)]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow.. REALLY?!?!

In that case... junkyard -> filter off of non PZEV -> K&N -> money in pocket -> happy driver [:)]

Will a filter from a non PZEV fit correctly? From my understanding there is nothing to do but pay 300 for stock replacement or 200 for CAI or SRI. Unless you want to try to rig somethin up...

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> Air filters are NOT intended to last 100K miles...

Actually, the one n the PZEV and 2005 models (and probably more) is designed to last 150,000 miles, filter better than a standard filter and have less restriction.

It is a Visteon development and there was an SAE white paper available on thier site in the past, but they seem to have pulled it so the only way to get a copy now is to buy a copy from the SAE.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2004/03/19/185537.html

·
Scuba Edition
1,694 Posts
There is a thing called the stealth CAI that you can do. Basically just take out the stock filter and attach a regular air filter on the end of the MAF tube.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The PZEV designation extends the warranty on all emissions related parts up to 150K miles.
This includes the air filter housing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts