Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Personally, I think 150+ is way too much money to spend on any intake. I used to have a k&N typhoon on mine, only because I got it super cheap used on Ebay. Now I have a custom 3" system with 3" maf housing that I pieced together using the modular spectre units sold at the big box auto part stores, and a maf housing that I bought on ebay, and a universal fit spectre filter.

My new cheap custom setup cost me a grand total of probably right around $100 after all was said and done, and is larger diameter, delivers lower intake temps, and is not quite as loud as the k&n was. I found it interesting that the K&N intake pipe is not 3", but is 2.5". My biggest problem with the K&N was the excessive volume that it generated.

If I had not trashed my stock airbox trying to cobble together a quieter intake, I would probable just do a snorkel delete/drop in filter, combined with the newmission mod or other custom ram air setup, and the silicone intake hose from MST Performance.

The only problem with the setup mentioned above is I have heard that the MST intake pipe wont fit with an upgraded throttle body, which for $60-$100 for the 2.7L ecoboost TB is a must-have upgrade, IMO.

Hopefully someone else will chime in to confirm fitment of the MST hose with the ecoboost throttle body. It is my opinion that the intake pipe is the single largest design flaw and restriction in the factory intake setup, aside from the crappy stock paper filter, which is easily changed. If you want to do the throttle body mod, which I recommend you DO, then you might be stuck with going to a full CAI, which as we already know is really expensive for what you get.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well I had a long and detailed reply typed out for you, but it seems to have been deleted. If I were you I would just get a drop-in filter and do a snorkel delete, and pair with the silicone intake hose from MST performance. I think the intake hose is the single largest design flaw in the factory intake.

Unfortunately, I have heard that the mst hose doesn't fit with an oversize throttle body (like the 2.7L ecoboost unit), but maybe someone else can chime in to confirm that. If you do plan on going with a larger throttle body, then I would suggest either piecing together a custom 3" intake yourself, or contact Tom at Focus Power and purchase his 3" intake pipe, which I hear is a very good piece.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I've had the fswerks intake installed on my car and it is one of the cheaper options but it also has the worst heat shield. it does not seal to the hood or even completely block off that portion of the engine bay. you might as well just be running a open filter. The roush intake is pointless simply for the fact that you can buy the RS air box for way cheaper. The K&N and Steeda are the best intakes on the market in terms of power and they seal to the hood to keep heat out. For the money i'd go with the RS box though. it's what i'm running. The rs air box plus a high flow filter will still keep you under a $100 making it the cheapest option and i like that it seals to the hood to keep engine heat out.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Cou9117 - prev. post approved & shows now.

Somehow it got caught by the spam filter for individual approval, typically happens only for ones with attachments from new members without enough posts for that function.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys really appreciate the detailed feedback! So i called my ford dealer and ordered the rs box. Guy seemed surprised when i told him i wanted to put it on my SEL lol! I looked online and I found em for around 65$ US but when i called my dealer here in laval Quebec he told me 91 which pretty much amounts to the same. Now what kinda differences am i gonna be noticing with it and what would be the best high flow filter to put in? Im guessing k&n?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
the box alone wont make much of difference but with a high flow filter you should get some extra HP and some extra noise. I have the green filter. i really like it.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
i second the RS intake assembly.

i've had mine on for a while now. less than $50 from the dealer in my area.

it provides a nice upgraded look while still using quality oem manufacturing, and as Burks said it does seal to the hood quite nicely. it does provide a sound upgrade too, but that's not really important for me. throttle response is much improved though.

adding a high performance filter is a personal decision IMO. i've run with both stock and aftermarket filters, and i prefer the closed end ones, whether aftermarket or stock. i am currently running a stock filter in my rs box. to each his own in this regard. aftermarket filters are just ridiculously high for this car, to the point it's thievery

snorkel mods are available too.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/duratec-ti-vct-performance-2012-current/699426-air-box-resonator-delete-snorkel-enhance-stayboogy-mod.html
i've closed the air ports in my snorkel making it more a cai on its own, whereas others have completely removed it. i've rode mine both ways as well and it is much better the way i have it set up now. one can actually hear a nice wind tunnel effect even at all idle coming from my modded snorkel.

save you money and go for the RS box, best bang for the buck hands down

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
remove snorkel too

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the awesome feedback! So what all is involved to install the rs box and removing the snorkel?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went with the Roush intake for about $170ish and It sounds great plus I have seen an improvement in fuel economy. But these guys probably know more than me so go with the RS intake lol.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
RS intake is good choice and good price, is it as good as a full intake system? If it's sealed off against the hood (like the roush, steeda, etc) and has fresh air inlets I think it would be a little bit better

·
Registered
8 Posts
RS intake is good choice and good price, is it as good as a full intake system? If it's sealed off against the hood (like the roush, steeda, etc) and has fresh air inlets I think it would be a little bit better
The Roush intake has foam gasket that goes around the top of the housing but not completely so I'm not sure how well it seals. The filter itself is great quality.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
^^^ it's subjective, some people for the 2.0 mk3 do an intake and say they don't notice a difference, when I did mine I noticed the difference right away and loved it...dyno proven gain as well

1 - 18 of 18 Posts