Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking into gettin a CAI insted of the crappy SRI i have.

i was on ebay and i see all these kits for like 60 and stuff like that. I was wondering if those are even worth purchaseing or not. I dont feel like spending 2-300 on one. There is a guy i know that bought for for his mustang and it seems fine but wasn't sure about the svt focus.

here is an example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-2002-2003-02-03-04-Focus-SVT-Cold-Air-Intake-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem370145557753QQitemZ370145557753QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
im sure you could even use a normal zetec one.
but im not sure.
2000-2004 focus.
they are even cheaper than that.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I always say you get what you pay for. Some have had good luck with ebay CAI's and other's haven't. I bought my first cai off of ebay and the bushings fell apart when I was installing it and the piping is really thin and bends easily. So I ditched it and bought an AEM then went FI and then went back to N/A with the Volant Intake.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it says it is for a SVT and about the bushings im just intrested in the pipeing. i got a filter and the ribbuer connector things

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have heard that those cheap intakes just don't fit. The picture looks like its just a knock off of an AEM CAI. I would just be afraid of hitting a bump and having the mounting bracket break off or something.

I was in the same situation as you, and finally just paid up and replaced my Steeda with an AEM and I love it, it just sounds amazing!

·
Registered
806 Posts
I just got a used AEM on the forums here, I'm with thisdude_05; you get what you pay for.

·
WOOT!!!
1,408 Posts
why dont you like the SRI?? i have one and had no problems with it..

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
SRI is just a hot air intake. The cooler the air, the more power you'll make.

On topic, don't buy the ebay one. I thought I'd chance it and save some money and mine quite literally fell off on the highway. Buy cheap and you'll get cheap.

It actually fit decent, I had to modify it to work with my JRSC but what's real cheap is the tubing is cut terribly, the bends are all kinked and the alum seems like very cheap quality.

·
Lurking
1,999 Posts
i have a e-bay one and have had it since 05 no problems but think about that SRI can't hydro lock your motor with a SRI that is one of my next remods.... but i do like the CAI it is nice in the winter summer ah it is ok i guess but not that big of a deal...but if you do get a SRI get a heat shield for it to....

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
k&n drop in or volant ftw i say

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
I have the AEM CAI, love the sound, but I might just switch back to the box (which has a K&N in it) just to be safe.

·
Registered
194 Posts
someone should just make a heatshield that seals to the hood and uses the factory sorkel for a sri. thats what i plan on doing

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Ebay cold air intakes normally only use one size for the entire length of tubing... this is a restriction when compared to the AEM, which uses larger tubing for the bottom half and a filter with a larger opening. Not to mention cheap materials begging to fall apart.

CAIs are the way to go for naturally aspirated horsepower... you will see a LOT of debate about this, but that's the bottom line. Short rams introduce heat soak, the stock box with a K&N is decent, but an AEM or Pipercross cold air will give you the most power.

If you don't feel like spending $200-$300, just get a K&N filter for your stock airbox, remove the resonator from the side of the box (that S-tube thing... it slides out), and leave it at that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts