Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone seems to be concerned about water with a cai so I decided to post up what I did to prevent mine from getting water and mud splashed on it.

I made this shield from a piece of aluminum sheetmetal. It was a scrap piece that was given to me. I got the rough shape using a piece of cardboard as a template. I only had a hacksaw to cut it with so that was the hardest part. I cut the piece a little long so I could fold it over for the bottom. I made a cut where each bend was going to be made on the bottom part that was going be folded over so they overlap. Aluminum is brittle when you bend it so I used a blowtorch borrowed from a friend to heat it before I made the bends. I clamped it to an old bench with a c clamp and used a 3lb hammer to bend it once it was heated. I then cut a piece for the bottom and screwed it into the folded over section. I test fit it and found a good location to mount it to the frame rail. I then used a piece of sheetmetal to make a mounting tab. There was already a hole in the framerail that I used to run a 1/4" x 20 bolt into and backed it up with a nut and washers on both sides. It also blocks the air from the radiiator fan.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
That seems like a decent sheild, good job doing that with the limited resources you had available.

I'm not too concerned with mine, its the FSWerks one and it sort of tucks inward towards into the front bumper splash shield. I know mine has gotten water on it but I have been in some pretty serious rain and has not sucked up water.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Good idea but I think the shield is preventing the filter from doing its job effectively.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good idea but I think the shield is preventing the filter from doing its job effectively.
How do you figure? It can still draw the cool air in coming from the front of the bumper and none of the filter is blocked.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Y'all are schooled in the polyester panty hose trick- right? It works. I had a Stealth CAI for more than 100k miles and went through 2 100 year floods. One of those times it was raining so hard that the fastest I could go without hydroplaning was like 25 mph. That time, when I pulled off the highway, not 10' from where I pulled into a gas station was a car half submerged. I was really scared then. I survived.

My factory splash shield was KOed at the time as well- stupid cat. I still need to go find another one.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Injen Hydro Shield

google it ... it works. Had it on all of my hondas and no hydrolock

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I know about the pantyhose. It doesn't keep mud from getting caked onto it though and it just seems like one more restriction to airflow however slight. I had mud on my airfilter before I did this. Like I said before I work in construction so my car sees alot of mud. This also blocks hot air from the radiator fan. If you look at the pics you'll see what I'm talking about.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Pantyhose trick sounds cool, at least it would help some and would be much easier to clean.

But I like the shield, at least it's not sitting in the hot engine bay. I think even with the air flow from the bumper it still does an effective job.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looks good. I like it..Very nice job sir!
Ty. I know it's not the fanciest but, it does what I wanted it too and know I don't have to worry about hitting mud puddles at speed. Best of all it cost me nothing.[:)]

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Decided to revive this thread because I see alot of cai hydrolocking concerns. This is really easy to make and if you use sheetmetal you don't even need a torch. I actually built one out of sheetmetal before I got the aluminum given to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts