Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I am wondering is it true that installing a CAI not only adds hp (5% or more) but
also improve gas mileage??

If so, how does it do this?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes it does increase HP and Gas mileage, think of your motor as an air pump (which it is basicly) The CAI's offer cooler air and the cone filters offer more surface area for which to breath that air, so you get 1) More air 2) Cooler less dense air. Which in turn helps your motor to breath in a sense, making it less restrictive and more powerful and efficient, as long as you don't plant your foot to the ground everytime you accelerate because they sound great. I hope this helped. You will love it if and when you get it, plus it looks nice.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, what are some good CAI for the focus? Is it all the same for 2001-2004 zts sedan models? My engine is 2.0L zetec

Also, is CAI only recommended for warm/summer season or is it perfectly healthy to use during the winter time too? (cuz of the extra cold air in the winter time)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree w\ phoenix, they(volant and the pipercross viper) seem to be the best out there or at least the most favorable at the moment, but an AEM is fine too, they are great in the winter you get some really cold air in there and it adds up to more HP they can stay on year round either way they get you more air than the stock system and they sound good. They are a great first mod along w\ exhaust.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here is my AEM installed on my SE sedan, works great in summer, really makes a difference out in the 100 degree + heat......[thumb]

http://www.focusfanatics.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11311&sort=1&cat=507&page=4

Oh and what gzx5 said:

"..........so you get 1) More air 2) Cooler less dense air................"

the air is more dense cause it's cooler then hot less dense air which is what makes the power and fuel economy. Just thought I would help clear that up.....[thumb]

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I got an AEM CAI too and i love it. It does rain a lot where i live so i had to get an air bypass valve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts