Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm sorry to post here because I know there are plenty of stickies out there on this topic but I been researching and thinking and can not come to a conclusion on what to buy! So I am asking you guys what would you do if you were me. Ok, first I have a 04 ZTS 2.3 Pzev. I am debating on CAI or Short Ram; money is not a variable. Ok, the only reason I am not going with CAI is because of the hydrolocking. Is it common? Is it easy to make your car hydrolock? Well currently im living in Alabama, which is sort of hilly and rains a moderate amount. But I am going to college at LSU in Louisiana, which is flat and rainy as hell. What are my chances of getting hydrolock if I am careful? Don't know if this will change anything but I am planning to add exhaust system right after the CAI.
The reason I am posting on Duratec Forum is I was wondering how hard is it to install on a Duratec? If you guys wouldn't mind listing your favorite CAI or Short Rams. I have tons of links so no need to post links. Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
personally i like cai.

I like the focussport or marcy motorsport (pick yours on prefrance of the filter) i prefer the focussport cuz it has an ITG filter

The main reason i like the cold air intakes are becuase it keeps the MAF sensor in a relaitvly close proximity to the orignal.

The reason I don't like cold airs is they sit so low you have to be cautious when driving in the rain.

The reason i odn't like short rams is becuase the only one avalible is the steeda and IMO it is a lot of money for what you are getting.

The other reason is becuase short rams work best at high speeds, usaully making most power at above 65 mph (hence the RAM)

I do like the short ram becuase it sits up higher and I don't know a single person who has hydrolocked a motor with a short ram... trans am's have ram air going through the hood and no one has had any problems.

Hence the conclusion.

1. Cold air for more power
2. short ram if you are worried about hydrolock
3. If the steeda wasn't as much as it was i would have probably choose it over the focussport.

To answer your question about a duratec hydrolocking... It is VERY hard unless you drive through a puddle that comes up past your fog lights.
it sits infront of the wheel well and above the lower engine cover.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Great answer wicked, that was the first responce on a thread like this that I have not seen short ram bashing. [thumb]

Cajun- Every thing he said i agree with 100%

·
Registered
527 Posts
you can get a water valve for you cai from aem. not sure how well they work tho. never had one.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
i am a fan of CAI but as you im scared of hydrolock, now i was out this weekend and it was raining nothing major and the car in fron tof me went though a puddle and started to slow down. well turns out his intake sucked in the water from the puddle and yes thats right he hydrolocked his car. when we took that intake off there was water all inside the thing felt bad for him i mean we were doing 55 on a highway went though the puddle water splasher everywhere and them boom

thats y i got a SRI just in case

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
TSnedSi said:
you can get a water valve for you cai from aem. not sure how well they work tho. never had one.
I have suggested that myself but I think the placement issue was the problem I don't have a intake yet but I will be getting the short ram myself.

Let me find a thread, I explained it all in there.

Here is my post.

focusin said:
The bypass valve is a filter, there is no open or closed its strictly there to let air through if the main filter is either submerged or sopping wet.

As long as the the BPV is BEFORE the MAF and above the water level there will be no issue its states on the instillation instructions its best to be in line with the MAF OR on a straight line somewhere safe out of the way of the water. But putting it on a curve will not make it not do its job.

Its just another filter.

I have installed a AEM BPV on my friends Civic and my fiance's eclipse. I will personally NEVER have a cai without one on.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where is that water valve on AEM cant seem to find it. Thanx for the replies it really help! So does that water valve fit on our car? What happens when you Hydrolock does your entire engine need to be replaced?

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Here is the link to Summit racing, they sell the AEM Bypass valve.

Summit racing

Now like I said in that post I quoted from the other thread, you can place it anywhere before the mass air flow sensor. As long as its out of the way of splash/submerging. It would be best inside the engine bay or at most level with the top of the bumper.

Here is just the idea.

Throttle body-------- MAF-------intake tubing-------Bypass valve-------rest of intake/cone filter.

Jon

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
cruzstyle said:
i am a fan of CAI but as you im scared of hydrolock, now i was out this weekend and it was raining nothing major and the car in fron tof me went though a puddle and started to slow down. well turns out his intake sucked in the water from the puddle and yes thats right he hydrolocked his car. when we took that intake off there was water all inside the thing felt bad for him i mean we were doing 55 on a highway went though the puddle water splasher everywhere and them boom

thats y i got a SRI just in case
Did this guy have a splash guard underneath his car?

What kind of vehicle was it?

And, what kind of "puddle" are we talking about here?

'Cause my '06 ST has a splashguard that runs under the entire length of the front bumper.

So unless I ran my car through water that was a foot deep, I don't see anything happening.

I decided on my "Stealth" CAI for one simple reason. If people were really hydrolocking their cars from just driving through "puddles," then there would be thousands (I mean literally thousands) of posts here from people who had hydrolocked their vehicles.

I just don't see any evidence of that occurring, either here on these forums, or any other.

And if CAI's were hydrolocking cars just from highway splashes, then they wouldn't be selling like hotcakes. They would just be collecting dust on the manufacturer's shelves.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Well frank I have first hand experiance with hydro lock b/c it happend to my friends civic. It was b/c of just a puddle, and I guarente it was not a fun job replacing that motor. CAI's do sell like hot cakes but do you know how many BPV's are sold? Without both of those #'s deciding whether or not hydrolock is a real threat or not is a onesided judgement and cant possibly be decided one way or the other.

I decide FOR a BPV if i had a CAI b/c I have experiance with what might happen if I dont. While the focus does offer better protection against splash ups and most intakes made for us sit in the safe little hole a lot of the older model cars do not, I also belive there is a few threads on here stating hydrolocked motors just search around.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It's all preferance if you think about it. I like SRI because the air has to travel less of a distance to get to the intake manifold, i really feel no difference power wise between a SRI and CAI, but i think the SRI does feel a little stronger. I also made my own so i didnt pay however much the steeda one is, but i custom made the whole intake, heat shield, ram air ducting and all that....

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
TSnedSi said:
they don't wokr on our cars. the bypass valve would acutally be lower than the filter

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
^^

I am buying a SRI myself but damn I am tempted to get a CAI and find some damn way to get it on there, I know it can be done I just need to get to play with it myself.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Don't worry about hydrolock. If you are in the rain, just be cautious and don't go mudding. :)

The filter sits infront of the wheel well and above the lower engine cover. It has been raining for the past week here, adn my filter has not once gotten wet and i check it any time after i drive in the rain

Trust me, once you see it on a car you will belive cold air is safe on our cars.

And when you see a pic there is NO WAY WHATSOEVER taht a bypass valve would do any good on our motors.

just trust me...

go wtih the focussport cool flo btw

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I know its safe I have seen it in pics a bunch, I just like the EXTRA protection. lol

I am actually getting a Steeda from a friend who will be going turbo so I will be geting it from him pretty cheap.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I hate to break it to you but with the by pass valve it is not extra protection. if anything it would be unprotective becuase it sits lower than the filter. :)

so if you are going with the sri, you have nothing to wrry about :p

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
go with the cai. you can buy a water repellent outwear from cfm.com and cut some plexi-glass and fit it underneath the filter for a splash gaurd. also, the lower filter tube can be moved in such a way that it sits a few inches higher. Currently, I'm doing all thee above and have no complaints. love it. Yeah, I use common sense when driving though. When i see water sitting on the road or deep puddles I don't barrel thru them. take it easy when it rains. Otherwise, get an cai.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all! I am going to buy the Cool Flo CAI from FS. Anybody have any opinions on it? Good choice???? Well, I was looking at the FS site and I think im just going to order the exhaust at the same time. What do you guys think about the focus sport exhaust?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
focusin said:
... I also belive there is a few threads on here stating hydrolocked motors just search around.
Yes, Ive read them.

And that's the problem.

If hydrolocking is that common an issue, then why are there only "a few threads?"

Should be hundreds ... if not more.

If you look at the number of people who say that they've bought a CAI, vs. the number of people who are actually reporting cases of hydrolocking - well, the numbers just aren't there to support the claim that this is a widespread problem.

Anyway ...

As long as I have my full length splash guard underneath my vehicle, I won't be worried about rain or puddles.[:)]

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Cajun Boy876 said:
Thanks to all! I am going to buy the Cool Flo CAI from FS. Anybody have any opinions on it? Good choice???? Well, I was looking at the FS site and I think im just going to order the exhaust at the same time. What do you guys think about the focus sport exhaust?
The Cool Flo CAI is very nice. I love mine. The exhuast is very nice too, but i went with the 2.5" cosworth exhuast becuase I was after a differant sound and hte 2.5" is going to better suit me in the future

1 - 20 of 49 Posts