Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to the club but starting to figure things out. I read the stickie on buying an intake but am still a little undecided. I want a intake for my daily driver 03 Zetec. I live in Wisconsin so i dont know if a aftermarket intake would affect my cars basic functioning. I was thinking about going with a K&N kit but would love opinions.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Aem has a popular one. Volant (not much of cai) is desirable one too. Those are the main two I know of.

Cai are not very popular on these cars because the stock one is more than fine. I got a drop in k&n filter and have no need to go farther than that since I'm not ruining any extreme NA stuff or FI.

Personally id do a full exhaust job first. If you want noise for cheap remove the air box resonator and block it off with something.

Suspension is the biggest bang for buck on our cars.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted to do exhaust too but if that is the better bang for the buck then i will focus on finding a good exhaust system. Any suggestions? I want something that sounds nice but nothing too loud and annoying.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered the SVT kit from Summit this morning so im pretty excited to get that on. Next will be exhaust and getting my wheels on.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Svt springs? I had those fit awhile. I liked them a lot. If I get another focus for rally x those will go on them.

Currently on vogtlands and kyb's. Little lower, little more responsive, still the same comfort. Lot less body roll, some more corner speed.

Springs are another subject though.

For exhaust I know borla, fswerks stealth are popular ones.

Performance wise a 2.5" will be good for almost all na stuff.

I personally welded mine together and like it. If I had a do over I would've gone for the fswerks stealth muffler.

What wheels? Considered a build thread?

·
Registered
75 Posts
CAI is good in sunny days, not for rainy days or snowing days. So short ram for me.

Chupa (suck)

Agua (water)

Intantaneo (Instant)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The kit from Ford is Coil springs, Struts, Shocks, and rear sway bar. Driving with a broken coil in the back so im ready to get this stuff on. I was looking at FsWerks and wanted something a little louder then the stealth but I did like their regular one. I picked up a set of Enkei CDR-9s from a buddy who has a Mazda Miata and they were too big for his car so he gave me a good deal on them. A build thread might be in order. A CAI might work here in Wisconsin during the summer but defiantly not now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm gonna be real here. I ain't got a lot of money so I just drove down to O Reileys auto parts picked me up some piping couple of connectors some 4 - 5 hose clamps and a spectre air filter and threw that bitch together, no regrets here. cost was like 60 bucks there is no reason it needs to be 300 dollars, honestly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good stuff, there are kits out there for like 50 bucks and then I was thinking of getting my own filter. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Aem has a popular one. Volant (not much of cai) is desirable one too. Those are the main two I know of.

Cai are not very popular on these cars because the stock one is more than fine. I got a drop in k&n filter and have no need to go farther than that since I'm not ruining any extreme NA stuff or FI.

Personally id do a full exhaust job first. If you want noise for cheap remove the air box resonator and block it off with something.

Suspension is the biggest bang for buck on our cars.
I wouldn't do a CAI either. Just save your money for an exhaust and tune.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Yea, if I were to blow 50 bucks on another mod id choose poly lca bushings.

(sway bars would be next)

I'd suggest not just throwing a filter on there, I did it once. Broke 2 filters, making the "filter" useless, it constantly fell off no matter how I supported or clamped it.

Personally id do a good exhaust or an eBay 2.5" cat back. If you go the eBay route, prepare for eBay quality. Or weld your own if you can buy/rent/use a buddies tools.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yeah I'm thinking I'm just going to get a K&N drop-in and focus (no pun intended) on getting my trunk open (it currently dosnt open), getting my subs in, getting HIDS, getting my wheels powdercoated and on and then probaly exhaust. Plenty of work to do. Lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah I'm thinking I'm just going to get a K&N drop-in and focus (no pun intended) on getting my trunk open (it currently dosnt open), getting my subs in, getting HIDS, getting my wheels powdercoated and on and then probaly exhaust. Plenty of work to do. Lol
Good call. A better functioning car will be more fun than a slightly faster one IMO.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha right. I'm also interested in getting a roof rack at some point but those are pretty pricy. Any suggestions on those?

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Who gives a [:)][:)][:)][:)] about rice, if you think its cool go for it. I'd recommend not being trendy if that's what you're doing, but if you genuinely like roof racks, go all out bro.

Can't point you in the direction of a good one since my goal is to make a slow car slightly less slow (autox enthusiast).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts