Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally gave in and purchased a CAI. MyFordPerformance had the black iceman on sale for $189 +s&h. (I know it is debatable which CAI to have, but that is not the topic of this post)

I'm concerned about voiding the warranty on my 6 month old Foci.
One of the reasons I choose the iceman was that it keeps the stock air box. My thinking (and this is where I need some input) was that it looks close to stock so if I need warranty work, no red flags will go up when they pop the hood. I was even thinking about not attaching the airduct for the resonator port to avoid raising eyebrows.
Is this just an excercise in wishful thinking?

IceMan Motorsports' web site claims that warranty work cannot be denied for using their product. True? False?

So...anybody have an informed opinion on the subject. Anybody been denied warranty work because of his or her CAI?

Personally I don’t see how providing the engine with better airflow and cooler air could do anything but make it run more efficiently. How could it hurt the engine if the air remains filtered and the engine remains naturally aspirated?

BTW if this subject has been covered, which it probably has, just direct me to the thread. Thanks

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
The only way they can void your warranty is if they prove that is what caused the problem.
BTW good choice going with the iceman.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You're still probably gonna get hassled if the dealer wants to hassle you. But if the Iceman utilizes the stock airbox then I wouldn't even worry man. They probably won't even look twice.

·
Registered
456 Posts
saleenzx3 is correct, you install the intake and then later you have some problem with the A/C say, they still have to fix it under warrenty; it is not voided.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
you are fine, unless they can show that the aftermarket part is what caused the problem they can't deny service. If you had a long tube CAI without bypass valve, or even with maybe and filled your engine full of water then took it in for service, you'd probably be SOL, but otherwise you would be fine.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Unfortunately, anytime you mod your car you take the chance that Ford will not honor your warranty. Technically, as has been stated here already, unless they can prove that the aftermarket part is the cause of the problem then they have to honor the warranty. In real life depending on the severity of the problem they could still tell you no and then would start the process of calling, complaining up the ladder at Ford or some consumer group. In some cases, provided money was available, you could be getting lawyers involved. Big company against the little guy, unfortunately the little guy often doesn't have the money or resources to fight the big company and so he goes away. I'm not trying to scare you ( I have mod'ed my car quite a bit and it's only 6 months old) just telling you it's not always as black and white as many would like to think. I would suggest building a good relationship with your local Ford dealership. The more familiar they are with you stopping in, buying parts, accessories, oil changes the more likely they will help when a problem comes up. Where I take my ZX5 the mechanics like to come over and look, talk about any new mods and they are very helpful plus they see how well the car is cared for. My belief is that if you are sneaky about your mods then they may be more likely to wonder what else you're trying to hide. I'm sure others have different opinions on this but that's my 2¢[cheers]

·
Registered
94 Posts
Technician

Today you have technicians in the dealership. NOT MECHANICS. The main issue is that they do most work by the codes the ECM outputs. When the mods change the dynamics of the code output, it makes the data that is the technician's way of doing his work worthless and either reduces or terminates his ability to work on it. The bottom line is that without these codes, it hinders the process.

I was once told that while they do not void the warranty, that if they make the job of repair more difficult, the difference in time and materials could likely be the car owner's responsibility. As an added note, this additional work is not in the book so it would be up to the dealer to account for it as done or by some other reasonable system. So while the warranty MIGHT not be void, the additional cost likely could be more than the cost of doing the work yourself.

As a note: Many fuel or exhaust system mods not specifically approved by the EPA (through the manufacturer) or by the CARB (California Air Resource Board) may not qualify for street operation and as such are SPECIFICALLY excluded from the warranty. Meaning only cars fully legal for street operation have ANY warranty coverage at all.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anybody have an actual experience (good or bad) with their dealer regarding a CAI?

BTW, does a CAI, proberly installed, even have the possibility of damaging the engine?
(The Iceman does not have a water ingestion potential, at least no more so than the OEM intake)

Thanks

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
how much money did you spend on the iceman?

you shouldnt have to worry about voiding your warrenty.. and if all return it back to stock before you take your car in for work.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
About $198 incl everything. Don't have it yet. Purchased at MyFordPerformance.
Yea, returning it to stock before seeing a dealer makes sense to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good choice wit the ice man. I put mine on christmas day and although its hardly bin a long time i havent had any trubl. Ull def notice a diff in power. The only prob i had wit the install is u mite hafta shave a little outta the tube that replaces the resonator. They wanted a tight fit cuz theres no bracket or ne thing on it and they went a lil overboard. And im sure the dealers will have no probs wit it. Gl and congrats![thumb]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts