Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know about installing CAI and California emissions law ? How about the Ford warranty? Is the ATX up to handling any increases in HP and Torque-I understand the ATX is the same one used in the zetec?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Don't know about Cali, but I think it might fail you on inspection. (you guys have some crazy car laws)

Ford, it will only void the warrenty on items that it directly caused a problem with. I.e - If your MAF sensor got clogged from an over-oiled cone filter on the CAI, then they can void the warrenty on the MAF.

The ATX can easily handle the extra power from a CAI. Its not like a turbo or something.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yup, what Egz said. My understanding is that in California, they can fail you on a visual if they simply see aftermarket parts.

Agree on the Ford warranty issue and the ATX too. Good job Egz. Keep in mind that transmissions are rated for the torque they can carry, not the HP. CAI generally works by increasing airflow and making better power, but you only get the benefit at higher RPM's well past peak torque. IOW the CAI probably has little to no effect on peak torque therefore the ATX doesn't know or care.

·
Registered
231 Posts
In cali you have to pass a visual inspection...meaning the the after market parts must have the erb or something like that exemption sticker. As of right now i dont think any pzev intake has one although I talked with marcy motor sport and i know that they have just applied for the cali exemption

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
In Cali, just return all emissions-related parts it to stock for the inspection then put your toys back on later!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Cant do an intake to the PZEV at the moment, but hey shouldnt take that long to switch between the two. Tranny will hold up to more than just the intake, just dont go over bored.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
I think it was directed to oldman about the fact the no PZEV intakes are CARB certified yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
PZEV CAI

Heck, go ahead and put the CAI in your pzev. In California, you won't have to smog test for 4 years if you have a new car. That means by 2007, they should have the CARB number for the CAI. If they don't by then, just transfer back to stock for the smog test and remod the car every 2 years after that. No problem!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts