Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Phoenix told, although I didn't ask in great detail, me today something about the cables and the software that you could connect to your car and then watch it "breathe" on your laptop or PDA. First of all, I'm looking to buy two things: 1) cable that I can plug into the plug on the Focus (you know the one that they use for check engine lights) and then plug it into my laptop. 2) I want some type of software that will be able to tell me data and all that good stuff that is in Focus.

And I guess the third step would be a software that I can use on check engine lights - so basically my laptop would be my "engine light checker" instead of going to AutoZone to check engine lights and find out codes...

is there anyone that knows more about this?

main thing is the cable...the rest I will try and find somehow if nobody knows.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sinan, the software/cabling I am using comes from this company: http://www.auterraweb.com/

It allows you to clear/decode check engine lights and monitor/log all sensors on your engine. Mine is the Palm Pilot version, they also sell a laptop version.

I may be able to tell you how to save some money on one of these too.

Rick

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks Rick...just the stuff I was looking for, but failed to ask you in person.

So if I buy a cable only, will I be able to find software for a little bit cheaper price then or possibly free?

·
Registered
294 Posts
The way almost all of these companies work is: The cable and software come as a 'kit'. The software requires their own propriety cable. A cable without their software or their software without their cable just won't work. That's how they protect their sales.

Auterra often sells their products on eBay and you can usually buy them at a substantial discount there.

I wish I would have taken a moment to show you how mine worked. I really like the Auterra unit I have. Keep in mind you must have either a Palm PDA or a laptop to use it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I've got a laptop...cable isn't expensive either, but the software it self is though...maybe one day....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts