Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[twothumbs] Last winter I lived in SW Ontario, it was a pretty severe winter but my trusty 2001 Focus got me to and from work (and anywhere else) without too much bother except - I couldn't get any heat into the passenger cabin which made those journeys pretty darn uncomfortable [rant]. As the winter reluctantly gave way to spring, the needle on my engine temperature gauge did creep up a little bit [wiggle] - but by then I didn't really need it! [:D]

This winter I will be living in Northern Ontario [sadpanda] - where the winter is going to be that much worse than (by comparison) the tropical SW!!! So in anticipation I am looking for some advice on a solution. My mechanic says the thermostat is working fine, hence temp changes are reflected in the gauge, all the fluids are in good order and so I should be good to go - right?

Then I was told that I could 'shield the front end by fixing either cardboard or lightweight plywood to prevent the cold air getting to the radiator' - but that was as much as that pundit knew so I am now turning to other Focus Fanatics to seek some advice - if this latter part is true and might resolve my frozen toes issue, then photos of what you have done would be especially appreciated. [race]

Thanks in advance... [:)] [:)] [:)]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome!

Moved this to the General Tech Chat section where you can find more info. & get some help.

Checking the HVAC setup to make sure your temp selector is giving you good hot air flow might be one place to start. It's got a "blend door" to direct warm or cold air to the cabin when working right.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Another door directs that hotter flow to your feet too so could be not working too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It wasn't the controls after all, just a careless/thoughtless shop associate 'topping off' rather than changing the coolant - giving an 80% mix which gelled and prevented sufficient heat being created.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Oh Yuck, I've seen that before from folks that think a little "extra" coolant won't hurt.

For my own use, a bottle is never opened without being mixed into two jugs immediately if it's not premix. Prevents accidental use of concentrate later. (Magic Marker 50/50 on the jugs)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts