Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this requires at least a little explanation. At some point in the last few weeks the dip stick was not put all the way back in or it popped up (which I doubt). Oil ended up spraying out of the tube over the engine and I am not 100% certain how long it was going on for. Based on how much oil the engine lost my guess is total around half a quart of oil came out of the tube. It was more of a mess then anything else.

So there is a local detailing place that offers to shampoo your car engine. I took it over there and the engine bay looks fantastic. The problem is that I am getting an oil smell every time I turn on the car out of the vents. I already need to replace the cabin air filter but I am just doubting that will be enough.

Honestly I am not even 100% sure where the cabin air is coming into the car, I was assuming it is near the windshield. But have not tried investigating yet. Any ideas on how to handle this?

The smell has been slowly getting better but I want to fix this instead of just trying to wait it out.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
If you lift the hood up. at the back above the engine bay on the black plastic part between the hood hinges. .. Are two trapazoid shaped screens. Those lift right off. And under where they were are the air intakes for the cabin. The inside of the area is also black plastic, and is easy to clean.
The grill covers slip back on easily. They have no screws or clips, they are just a slip fit on the openings.

You may (or may not) want to replace the 'cabin air filter' which is in the passenger area, up against the middle side wall under/below the dash. I cannot explain how to do that. But others have posted pics. and I am certain you could find a uTube video showing it done.
I would wash out the cabin intake areas, then see if it still smells. (they 'should' have a drain hole so water will not pool at the bottom... ??)

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Well i'm pretty sure the vent us under the windshield where your wiper blade control arms are. or in that area anyway. they do offer a cleaner you can run through. basicaly you turn your car on, turn the vents on and spray the cleaner in and it sucks it through. I have always been able to find it at my local autoparts store. i'm sure Wal-mart has it too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts