Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I decided to replace the cabin air filters on the vehicles. Found out the 03 F350 does not have one, already knew how to do it on the 98 Taurus because I had done it once before a decade ago (I know, way too long of an interval), and then I got to my wife's 2010 Focus SE with filter in hand. Took the passenger side cowl off and I was greeted by a box with a wire mesh on top of it instead of a cabin air filter. Looks like the box is glued in place with tar. I have seen some YouTube videos where some of the Focus vehicles without a cabin air filter just have a plastic insert that can be easily removed, but that isn't the case with this thing.

So, is there a way to buy the hardware for a cabin air filter such that I can pull this wire mesh box out of the vehicle and start using a cabin air filter?

After I resolve this problem, the next problem will be the mold/mildew smell in the vehicle.

Vehicle maintenance = fun times

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Not for the MkII, only the MkI had that option stock. MkIII made it std. in a different interior location.

Custom Fab. to make your own replaceable element setup there. It's been done, try a search here and even MkII Interior Mods just in case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, I decided to replace the cabin air filters on the vehicles. Found out the 03 F350 does not have one, already knew how to do it on the 98 Taurus because I had done it once before a decade ago (I know, way too long of an interval), and then I got to my wife's 2010 Focus SE with filter in hand. Took the passenger side cowl off and I was greeted by a box with a wire mesh on top of it instead of a cabin air filter. Looks like the box is glued in place with tar. I have seen some YouTube videos where some of the Focus vehicles without a cabin air filter just have a plastic insert that can be easily removed, but that isn't the case with this thing.

So, is there a way to buy the hardware for a cabin air filter such that I can pull this wire mesh box out of the vehicle and start using a cabin air filter?

After I resolve this problem, the next problem will be the mold/mildew smell in the vehicle.

Vehicle maintenance = fun times
I'm in a similar situation now. My wife's 2010 Ford Focus SES has only the wire grate under the cowl with no actual cabin air filter underneath it. I'm wanting to replace a cabin air filter if it exists, too, because of that mold/mildew smell in the air. Whether heat, A/C, or non-heated air from outside doesn't matter. The smell persists. That way I can rule out if it's related to a cabin air filter or not, plus it's the cheapest resolution if so. Research leads me to believe there might not be a cabin air filter, especially when parts stores' online shopping sites indicate that there isn't a match to what I'm looking for when I have the '10 Focus SES selected as the vehicle and search for that filter. If there were to be one, I'm assuming then it would be under the passenger-side compartment.

So, two questions: 1) did you end up finding a cabin air filter at all and 2) were you able to resolve the mold/mildew smell?

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have a 2010 I've had it since new there's no cabin air filter.
They make cleaners that you spray in the AC drain it's a foam, and it helps clean the evaporator and what not.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
2010's don't have cabin air filters. Only 00-04's did. You can add one by finding the housing from a junkyard car, see link reference in earlier post, but it probably won't solve the source of your mold/odor problem, which is likely in the HVAC system/ductwork, downstream of where the air enters. I'm not sure if our cars have a drain hose for A/C condensation, but that would be the first place to check to make sure it is not clogged. It might be worth some searching here or some googling to find key places where you can remove parts of the HVAC to inspect for mold, dirt, or obstructions.

Me personally- as a preventative measure, a few times a year I turn on the HVAC full blast, and spray the intake area by the cowl with tons of "fresh linen scent" Walmart brand generic Lysol. I have done this for years on several car*s and never had a smell problem.

I'm in a similar situation now. My wife's 2010 Ford Focus SES has only the wire grate under the cowl with no actual cabin air filter underneath it. I'm wanting to replace a cabin air filter if it exists, too, because of that mold/mildew smell in the air. Whether heat, A/C, or non-heated air from outside doesn't matter. The smell persists. That way I can rule out if it's related to a cabin air filter or not, plus it's the cheapest resolution if so. Research leads me to believe there might not be a cabin air filter, especially when parts stores' online shopping sites indicate that there isn't a match to what I'm looking for when I have the '10 Focus SES selected as the vehicle and search for that filter. If there were to be one, I'm assuming then it would be under the passenger-side compartment.

So, two questions: 1) did you end up finding a cabin air filter at all and 2) were you able to resolve the mold/mildew smell?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Sadly, in the 2+ years since I posted that, I have not really looked into this issue anymore. The smell is still there off and on, but my wife mainly drives that vehicle and since she is not complaining about it (i.e., my wife is great), I have other fish to fry. Maybe, once things settle down, I'll look into the drain issue as mentioned by another poster, spraying some cleaner into the evaporator, and/or fabricating an air cleaner housing in lieu of that pathetic thing that is in there right now. Sorry I could not be of more help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts