Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to install a cabin air filter into my 03 and I'm having a problem getting to the screw underneath the wind shield wiper. The black plastic tab seems like its molded into the cowl. Do I need to break it off? I cannot get to the filter without removing that screw.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hmmm

It should't be hard to take it off? I just use a flat screwdriver. But you must be sure to do it on the right black plastic tab, as there are plastic tab dummies without a screw beneath.

I believe it was only the one in the middle that was removable.

·
Registered
139 Posts
In my 04, there is no screw there - the piece is molded into the plastic, and the passenger side plastic piece is just slid into a small slot. No screw to remove.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is only 1 black circle, and it's underneath the left wiper (looking from the front outside of the car). It's scrated, and its not going anywhere, its part of the cowl. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, I'm dumb and figured it out. Just had to give that cowl a good pull up before it would come a little more loose. Works just fine now [:D]

·
Registered
214 Posts
LordCartman said:
Well, I'm dumb and figured it out. Just had to give that col a goo pull up before it would come a little more loose. Works just fine now [:D]
When i was a virgin in "black tab" removing, i used a month to figure this out :)

Glad you got it off!

Ps (I also hate this cabinfilter/ cowl solution!!) Hope its better in the 06 models.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have replaced the filter 12 times, and have ruined 2 cowl grilles so far (not 2 bad) I also need to replace the locking pins every time (all 4 or 5)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nilskje said:
I have replaced the filter 12 times, and have ruined 2 cowl grilles so far (not 2 bad) I also need to replace the locking pins every time (all 4 or 5)
Sounds like you are pulling way too hard. The pins can be a pain, but with a few minutes of wiggling, you will get them started. To lift the cowl up a bit of force does need to be applied, so I could see where you might break that. Why have you replaced your cabin air filter 12 times?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I repalced mine and cracked my windshield trying to snap a f'd up locking tab back in. Just take your time and you will be fine.

Btw...anyone know the pn# to the 00 focus locking tabs? Or perhaps the entire cowl grille assembly?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Take an old credit card and cut it just a tad narrower than the clip/loop that holds the locking tab. Then insert the credit card strip so that it holds the tab back. One old credit card will make couple of release strips. Once they are all in, you can remove cowl without breaking anything.

The cowl just isn't up to many removals. I took mine off to cover the intake port with a screen to keep the leaves out of blower. The 05 have screen cover over the intake and won't take a filter.

·
Registered
16,564 Posts
I made up an entire filter frame and filter using window air conditioner filter foam and cost was under $30 for all of it. I did away with the plastic pins too, the entire two cowl pieces come off by removing ten cent screws like anything else now.

Reactions: inventiv
1 - 13 of 13 Posts