Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I installed a cabin air filter and there were two things that stuck out to me:

#1 - There was a bead of silicone at the bottom of the windshield that was half stuck/half dangling needed to be removed and reapplied to eliminate water from leaking onto the filter. I did that early this morning and I'm going to let it sit for the full 24 before doing anything else.

and....

#2 - There are two clips that need to be replaced that I can't seem to find anywhere. I've uploaded a picture of the clips. From the looks of it, the tops of the plunger part of the clips broke off when I removed the panel.

The objective here is to keep water from leaking onto the filter, which naturally would leak into the interior.

I'm sorta having some regrets about installing the filter, but what's done is done. If I can find any clips that work as a replacement, I'd feel a whole lot better.

Are these clips (or at least the plunger) available anywhere? I've checked Dorman and came up short, but I'll be checking Dorman again. Any alternatives would be great as well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I went on and ordered some off eBay. It sucks that I have to wait for something as simple as this, but it is what it is.

For those of you that might be in my shoes and considering installing a cabin air filter, you might want to consider these steps:

Removal of the old silicone bead (if it is already coming off) with window cleaner and razor blade, dry windshield and apply a new bead of black silicone. The assumption here is the new silicone will be a one time job that will last over the next few years. At least this is what I'm hoping for.

Locate cowl panel clips or better yet, don't break the existing cowl panel retaining clips. If you can wiggle your fingers under the panel and squeeze the grommets, you might be able to remove it without breaking the clips.

Just wanted to put this out there since every cabin filter video or how to doesn't cover this step that I deem to be very important with regards to eliminating leaks.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
I took my cowl off a while ago when I noticed a leak on my floor mats. It still hasn't been fixed yet. It is a PITA to get the cowl to clip back on with those clips, just so you know...

I guess the sun has warped them, letting the water run in.

I am just going to go buy some clear silicone and put it under there, rest something on it for 24 and hope that works. With winter coming I don't need melted snow in there...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took my cowl off a while ago when I noticed a leak on my floor mats. It still hasn't been fixed yet. It is a PITA to get the cowl to clip back on with those clips, just so you know...

I guess the sun has warped them, letting the water run in.

I am just going to go buy some clear silicone and put it under there, rest something on it for 24 and hope that works. With winter coming I don't need melted snow in there...
I was thinking of running a smaller bead on top of the bead I made this morning once my clips come in to provide an extra measure of protection. If the cowl panel doesn't fit, I'll have to do like you and find a few heavy items to place there for 24 hours.

Argh! I hate having to let my car sit (since I bought it with the sole purpose of being the daily driver), but owning multiple vehicles does have its advantages.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so I received the clips and reinstalled the cowl.

I removed the previous silicone bead I put down and put a new bead. I took a few bricks and wrapped them up in plastic bags and let them sit on top of the cowl for 24 hours. I laid a flat cinder block (wrapped in a paper bag) on top of the bricks to ensure it was pressed down.

It came out messy looking, but at least it is properly sealed. Since this isn't a show car, I can live with the less than perfect appearance. I also have 23 extra clips remaining for future cabin air filter replacements, but I honestly don't think I'm going to replace the cabin air filter for at least 30,000-50,000 miles.

It is not a hard job, but highly annoying with the placement of the cabin air filter and the possibility of water leaking on it and having to let the car sit for the silicone to cure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts