Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone suggest a company who makes CA legal aftermarket products/companies that will comply with CA laws such as smog, etc?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
you can look up what is CARB legal here

but apparently according to a post in this thread you can get a sticker retroactively somehow.

·
Super Moderator
9,559 Posts
Richie, please post your questions in the proper sections. I have moved your threads to their proper sections. If you take the time and read, you will see what we have entire sections dedicated to the kinds of questions that you are asking. Thank you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Richie, please post your questions in the proper sections. I have moved your threads to their proper sections. If you take the time and read, you will see what we have entire sections dedicated to the kinds of questions that you are asking. Thank you.
I thank you for moving them. I thought i would post in the SoCal thread since I was asking CA related questions. Thank you for the direction.

·
Registered
202 Posts
So, I am relatively new to California and have no idea how strict they are with modifications. I know they want everything to be CARB legal, but how often are they checking for this? I want to put exhaust on my car, but I also don't want to randomly get a ticket for it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I know if you purchase a car in CA you have 6 years from the manufacturing date before the first time it has to be smog tested. So in the case of your car you wouldn't have to do it until 2019. After that it's every 2 years.

I'm not sure about cars brought into the state from another though. I'm sure they will let you know when you try to register it in CA or you could check the CARB website or call the DMV.

Also, as long as you don't mess with the header or 2 CATs on the MK3s have you can do whatever you want to the exhaust since CARB does not regulate CAT-back exhaust systems.

The only CAI that I know of that is CARB legal is the AEM unless they've added some new ones.

I posted a link to the CARB website a couple posts up which you can look up exactly what parts are legal as well.

I hope this helps

·
Registered
44 Posts
And this is why i will no longer live in Cali. Damn laws are to strict and won't let you enjoy your investment.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah, that's a huge bummer. I wonder if I could get away with a high flow cat...

I was reading a corvette forum about high flow cats in California, and apparently it WILL pass a sniffer test, but not the visual (unless you have a lazy inspector).

When I got my last car smog tested (2003 maxima tagged out-of-state) before selling it, the inspector didn't even look under the car. I might just take it there from now on!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Yeah it's pretty rough living here as far as emissions control and all that. I doubt they will check a car that looks/sounds stock but if your car growls and doesn't look stock I think it's more likely (though that's just an assumption)

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Just to add a bit to this -

Depending on which county you live in, your cars may or may not be subject to periodic emissions testing.

The heavy majority of our CA members live in the Bay Area or Socal where testing is mandatory on a bi-annual basis, however if you happen to live in mono county, or have the ability to classify your vehicle as a "farm vehicle", then you are exempt from smog testing. (there are some rules obviously, you may be subject to bar tests).

Though there are these loopholes, the heavy majority of auto enthusiasts tend to igonore smog rules and modify their cars as they see fit to do. My car is by no means smog legal, but I have a large cabinet in my garage where I store all of the factory emissions equipment in case I need it.

There is definitely a risk though. A policeman can inspect your car at any time if he suspects that you have removed mandated emissions equipment, and he can issue you a fix-it ticket, or require that the car not be driven until said issues are fixed. This is usually pretty rare, though it does happen (mostly to idiots who annoy cops).

Generally speaking though, so long as you dont draw attention to yourself, cops will mostly leave you be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts