Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through my owner's manual the other day and noticed that all the Focuses are started by a standard electronic egnition system...aside from the PZEV, which brings me to my question:

Does anyone know how the PZEV's C.O.P. ignition system works, why they chose to use said system in only the PZEV (assuming it's for pollution control purposes), and more specifically, the difference between the C.O.P. and standard ignition types?

Obviously I'm full of questions and, luckily for me, it seems the FF forums are full of people with answers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
C.O.P. Plug Ignition Benefits

Dear Spapadillion,

Coil-on-plug ignition is much more efficient and accurate.

It removes the standard ignition coil, and places an indiividual coil unit on each spark plug.

It also gets rid of the distributor.

Each spark pulse is sent and controlled by the engine computer.

That is how I remember what I read about it.

Regards,

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
^^^ Sounds good enough for me.

With the Zetec coil pack, it was limited a little to by how it could fire the plugs. COP allows for complete control over each cylinder.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, good enough for me, as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
spapadillion said:
... Does anyone know how the PZEV's C.O.P. ignition system works, why they chose to use said system in only the PZEV (assuming it's for pollution control purposes), and more specifically, the difference between the C.O.P. and standard ignition types?
Hey spap:

The other answers are pretty accurate but here's some more info:

Three types of ignition systems:
1) Single coil, spark directed to individual cylinders by a distributor.
2) Multiple coils, distributorless.
3) Coil-on-plug.

The big deal with COP over #2 is that it completely eliminates secondary ignition wiring (the familiar fat high-voltage plug wires) because the output of the coil connects DIRECTLY to the spark plug. Both #2 and #3 fire completely under computer control and therefore both eliminate inaccuracies due to a mechanical distributor #1. With COP, any problems associated with secondary ignition wiring are eliminated - electromagnetic interference, degradation over time causing misfires, etc etc.

I don't know exactly why they chose to use it on the PZEV, but one guess that comes to mind is that COP is simply more reliable - never need to worry about plug wires going bad. With the requirement for very long emission warranty, it makes sense to eliminate as many sources of trouble as possible.

Lots of cars use COP, Ford and others. It is definitely used on the V-8's used in Mustang, Crown Vic, and trucks (4.6 liter and 5.4 liter).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts