Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you can buy a cop kit but I am hard core Ford and cant stand putting other manufacturer parts on my car. I had the coils already. I found the coil conectors from a f150 with a 5.4 in a wrecking yard, from the info I could get you can use any 2 wire coil conector from ford. I didn't want to buy new connectors they are a tad bit pricey but are available. I have been running these for a few days now and all is great, do I notice any differance? nope, but imo it looks better. Any questions at all just ask.

Ok first the basic stuff remove your plastic plug wire cover, plug wires and coil. test fit the duratec coils

I had to cut the ear off of the coil for cyl #1

next build your wiring harness. All of my conections were soldered and heat shrinked, I also used a non metalic epoxy at the coil conector to prevent wire pull out and to protect the wires there. I didn't post the pic for the harness diagram because all the ones I found were from an off the shelf kit and I am not here to step on anyones toes, google it.

I cut up an old coil so I would not have to modify my stock wiring harness on the car

ok now I had to replace my valve cover gasket(leaking) and installed a new valve cover. Installed the coils.

Installed the wiring harness

all of this hides under the stock cover still looks stock just looks like something is missing.

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
looks good with the cover on. any plans for something to hold down the coils? I would be nervous about them vibrating loose.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when you put the cover on it puts pressure on all the coils, not alot but just enough not to have to force the cover down and worry about it warping or breaking.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,211 Posts
I've really been thinking about this for a week, although there isnt much performance benefit. I was thinking the same thing to use a stock coil connector to make it easy to go back to stock, plus I just replaced the pigtail and I'd hate the cut the new one off.

Do the boots on those coils fit snugly in the valve cover holes? It looked like the Chrysler ones arent even close.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you look close in the 10th and 11th pictures down you can see the coil boot. its just big enough that it wont go through the holes in the valve cover. here is a side by side comparison.

the coil boot is shorter but I have had no issues running this set up at all.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Not a bad mod if you need the extra firing voltage but it still runs the COP's in a paired-cylinder order. These COP's have little internal RFI insulation and the OEM COP setups utilize a capacitor in the power circuit to suppress the RFI generated by them. Keep in mind that if you decide to mod your ignition system in this manner WITHOUT incorporating these RFI suppressors you run the risk of strange electrical malfunctions in various systems, specifically communication and VR signal circuits......

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry forgot about that, the suppressor is still there. I had to drill the hole out and reattached it with one of the coil bracket bolts to the cylinder head. I don't have any pics of it you cant really see it unless you look for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts