Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are you guys putting the bypass on for your cai's?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea, the problem I ran into was that anywhere on the pipe that would work was all crammed up between engine parts.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
I wouldn't use one, honestly. The bypass only works if the filter is completely submerged underwater. It's not going to prevent condensation or droplets from entering the engine. The bypass leaks air anyway, so you usually end up with higher IATs. I ran an AEM CAI with a bypass for about a year until the whole thing fell apart (it was used and the brackets were broken already). I got another one without the bypass and ran it for another full year, 5 days a week minimum through every season, every kind of weather. Not a problem. Obviously you don't want to rev it out to 7200 when it's pouring rain; you just have to be mindful of it. A little water in your engine is not a bad thing; a lot is. Avoid the big puddles and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
IMO, they aren't worth it. You're better off putting a turn up on the end of your CAI to put the filter high up in the fender. The bypass valve is supposed to go in the break in the two pieces and there is no real way to fit the bypass valve in there. You'd have to cut a section out somewhere to properly fit it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, I'll look for a turn up.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
thanks, I'll look for a turn up.
Here's a pic of mine (after it fell off my car [boxface] ) for reference of what I'm talking about. Notice right before the filter the 90degree upwards bend. Puts it plenty far out of the way.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Moisture is going to build up in there though, isn't it? There's nowhere for it to drain out... at least with the standard CAI, it can drain out through the filter.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I never really thought of that but I never had a problem with that. I'd assume you could drill a pretty small hole and it wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I used a $10 filter shield from Autozone on mine.... worked great.

·
Registered
210 Posts
my problem i ran into with the cai was not that it was going under water but when it rains water falls ontop of it and then u drive and water gets in it and [:)][:)][:)][:)]s up my tps sensor i installed a heat sheild on it but use it as a water shield so when water falls on it it rolls right off and no water has gotten in yet

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ah nice idea.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nice, buying one of those for sure.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
my problem i ran into with the cai was not that it was going under water but when it rains water falls ontop of it and then u drive and water gets in it and [:)][:)][:)][:)]s up my tps sensor i installed a heat sheild on it but use it as a water shield so when water falls on it it rolls right off and no water has gotten in yet
That was hard to read [8]
I get what you're saying, I've heard some people having this problem and some never do. Personally I never did.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts