Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

In a few hours I'll be buying a 2005 zx3 hatchback with a Duratec engine and 120k miles.

I have an OBD reader and will check codes, brakes, filters, tires, and fluids. The car can't be driven to a mechanic because it has expired tags, so it's up to me to look it over!

Anything else I should look for?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just brought my zx3 home today joining my family of foci's
do you have the 2.0 or the 2.3 is it manual or auto,i bought my 2003 zx3 with 140,000 I have heard good things about the duratech motors,good luck with it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 2003 with the Zetech, so I don't know if they share much in common. We watch the valve cover gasket for leaks. We watch the resistor in the heater fan assembly. We watch the difficult round check nuts that hold the air filter box together. Good for you to check that the tests have been run and no codes are being thrown. You seem like a smart shopper.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
I just brought my zx3 home today joining my family of foci's
do you have the 2.0 or the 2.3 is it manual or auto,i bought my 2003 zx3 with 140,000 I have heard good things about the duratech motors,good luck with it.
05 Duratec engines only have in a 2.0L for the ZX3.

Does the car drive well? Fluids, belts, tires, brakes, rubber under the hood like hoses. How do you he wires look that you can see? Is it stock or modded?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Also check the motor mounts as well. If there is any vibration inside the interior at startup and driving, the passenger motor mount would need to be replaced. When i bought my 05 ZX3 the seller told me straight up it needed to be replaced, also only at 52k miles. Fairly easy job to do though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts