Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so first of all, i want to keep my stock headunit... just because it has my 6 CD stuff right there and so i can keep my steering wheel controls....

im buying the MTX 4 channel amp

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/MTX-...43779/catOid/-13095/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do'

with an MTX 10" sub

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/MTX-...47569/catOid/-13093/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Im going to use 2 of the 4 channels for the speakers (ill lose my left to right fadign but im fine with that) and the other 2 to power the sub.

Any ideas/suggestions? Im haivng this installed Thursday for $600 total.

Edit: Ill have this sealed enclosure...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/MTX-...19721/catOid/-13094/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Any suggestions on how i can protect the sub from things in my trunk?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Be careful not to overpower your stock speakers. If you going to get a sub, I suggest that you get a mono class D amp with the sub. Class D circuitry is more efficient when you're using it to power a subwoofer. Can you hook up an aftermarket amp to your stock head unit anyway?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hmm. I would save your money on that 50 dollar box, and make something nice. 25 bucks for a sheet of mdf, 5 for some caulking. then some carpet, and some time, and you can build the box to spec for that sub. Will sound better, and be better because you did more then screw it all together.
But you should check out elementaldesings. they are having some wicked deals on their subs right now, and they are great stuff.

brent

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dazada said:
Be careful not to overpower your stock speakers. If you going to get a sub, I suggest that you get a mono class D amp with the sub. Class D circuitry is more efficient when you're using it to power a subwoofer. Can you hook up an aftermarket amp to your stock head unit anyway?

im going to be upgrading my speakers soon also. The amp has speaker level inputs so i can just hook it right up to the head unit and the speakers and stuff and also use it for the sub.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
thier called low level inputs, thier actually not as good as using the high level inputs (RCA cables)

you might want to get an EQ for your indoor speakers, and one for your sub, so you can of course adjust the sound going to the differant speakers, because you don't want your sub even recieving hi's and mids and you don't want the amp to be pushing so much low to the stock speakers

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
jaimz22 said:
thier called low level inputs, thier actually not as good as using the high level inputs (RCA cables)
you got it backwards. RCA = low level input.
speaker level inputs generally are not the best solution for a signal.

If you (owner of this thread) were to get a Line Out Converter, or a High-to Low level input converter, the sound quality will be much better.... just because you can fine tune the pre-out voltage and set the gain accordingly on your amp.

I wouldn't even bother amplifing the stock speakers, Hook up your 10" and just listen to it at normal volume, until you can afford new speakers... then you can turn it up, and bump it without crappy speaker feedback, and with SQ and clarity.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
yeah sorry i did have that backwards :p

and i agree amplifying your stock speakers is like polishing a turd.. you can polish it, but it's still a turd

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh i know, im going to see how it sounds and ill buy new speakers next week.... im hoping they go on sale soon... the guy said they should be buy one get one for half off.... it would help alot if i could get that deal haha

For my box... its a normal wood box. What can i do to protect the front of the sub?

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
you should use MDF that is wood, it's Medium Density Fiberboard.

as for protecting your speaker, don't put crap on it :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
jaimz22 said:
you might want to get an EQ for your indoor speakers, and one for your sub, so you can of course adjust the sound going to the differant speakers, because you don't want your sub even recieving hi's and mids and you don't want the amp to be pushing so much low to the stock speakers
Most amplifiers (including the one he will be purchasing) have built in crossovers just for that purpose.

There would be no need (other than to just spend money) to get an equalizer at this point in time.

To protect the sub you could but a grill in front of it. Parts Express (http://www.partsexpress.com sells grills (last time I checked).. so do other places, that is just one)

Besides that there isn't too much more protection you can have (besides a mesh grill or something like that)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts