Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I'm doing my driving test again soon as I racked up 6 points in my first 2 years so licence got revoked... I previously had a 1.4 CL and I'm planning on buying a 1.6 or 1.8 Zetec this time.

Is there a noticable handling difference with the heavier 1.8 engine compared to the 1.6? My 1.4 felt extremely light and agile (stated weight is 1074kg) I removed the rear seats and usually had £10 of fuel maximum at any time so it probably weighed 1000kg give or take.

Is the extra 13hp worth the extra weight over the 1.6? I would get a 2.0 but insurance will be killer until my points come off.

Cheers :)

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
=o i keep forgetting UK insurance is heavily classed on the type of vehicle and engine.. here in Canada my higher horsepower UK built Jag is less to insure then my focus xD

is the 1.6 diesel?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both 1.6 and 1.8 are petrol (I should have said)

Yeah, UK insurance is pretty shocking for a driver with 6 points. I want to keep a Focus for a few years and hopefully move onto a Mitsubishi Legnum 2.5 V6 but that's a long way away!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'd like to say a few words :)

First: 1.4 motor in focus should be considered criminal offence. 1.6 is minimum and you see the difference immediately.

Second: I'd say you compensate insurance with pricetag on the 15 year old Focus :) how much would it cost for a 2.0? (approx)

Third: 1.6 has 100HP, it is quite enough - but if you really want more go with 2.0, skip 1.8

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
yeah i really have to stop watching UK police shows xD its sad i know more about the UK's auto and insurance then i do of my own country's

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like to say a few words :)

First: 1.4 motor in focus should be considered criminal offence. 1.6 is minimum and you see the difference immediately.

Second: I'd say you compensate insurance with pricetag on the 15 year old Focus :) how much would it cost for a 2.0? (approx)

Third: 1.6 has 100HP, it is quite enough - but if you really want more go with 2.0, skip 1.8
I agree with point 1, the 1.4 did me well as a first car however! I did 40,000 miles with it and it only ever needed a coil pack. I had to put a full gallon of fresh oil in every month (yes, a full gallon) even though it didn't leak or smoke so I never knew where the oil went...

I think the 2.0 would be too much on the insurance for me :( the 1.8 is the maximum I'd be willing to insure and they seem to be more common so there's a lot more to choose from. The cheapest insurers want £2500 for the 1.6 at 20,000 miles a year and over £3500 for the 2.0!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree with point 1, the 1.4 did me well as a first car however! I did 40,000 miles with it and it only ever needed a coil pack. I had to put a full gallon of fresh oil in every month (yes, a full gallon) even though it didn't leak or smoke so I never knew where the oil went...

I think the 2.0 would be too much on the insurance for me :( the 1.8 is the maximum I'd be willing to insure and they seem to be more common so there's a lot more to choose from. The cheapest insurers want £2500 for the 1.6 at 20,000 miles a year and over £3500 for the 2.0!
Wow... that much :(
Go with 1.6 - even 2500 sounds way too much...

Reg. Oil - sigma zetec motors 1.4 & 1.6 have bad oil rings from Kolbenschmidt so you can easily expect the same with 1.6

Gesendet von meinem SM-920F mit Tapatalk

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts

[80?] ..... 3500quid (~$4500us) for 1 year for the 2.0 (passes out)

my 06 2.0 at 20k is $1060cdn (~£800)..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wow guys, that's pretty much for insurance.
Luckily we have cheap insurance here, around $200 for a year. So if your car passes technical inspection, altogether comes around $350 for yearly registration.

Do you also have to pass technical inspection for a registration every year? Or just the insurance?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
uk has road tax/MOT yearly on top of insurance.. a few friends sent me a few of their old MOT discs that are defunct and blanked they are just for fun as i have one stuck on my UK born Jaguar X-Type i just want to get my hands on a pair of UK custom plates as my jag actually HAS the UK plate mounts but capped with paint matched caps

UK like Australia they have yearly vehicle safety inspections called roadworthy.. UK has alot of "sheds on wheels" it seems

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow... that much :(
Go with 1.6 - even 2500 sounds way too much...

Reg. Oil - sigma zetec motors 1.4 & 1.6 have bad oil rings from Kolbenschmidt so you can easily expect the same with 1.6

Gesendet von meinem SM-920F mit Tapatalk
Maybe if I get the 1.8, the extra money on insurance will be saved due to lower oil usage? [giddy]

Is the 2.0 as thirsty on petrol as people say? I could get down to about 20-25mpg if I drove the 1.4 hard (which you need to in order to even get moving)

My main concern is the weight of the engine. My 1.4 used to understeer quite a bit, this would be made worse by a heavier engine? I also heard the wider tyres on the 2.0 dulls the handling somewhat, and the ESP can't be turned off.

I've got plenty of time to choose what engine I'd like but I want the decision to be the right one! Handling is more important to me than power to be honest

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well I can make a comparison between 1.4 & 1.6 because I've had them myself. Actually I still own 1.6...
Those are Yamaha developed motors.
Motor weight is the same - 80kg for 1.4 & 1.6 (very light)
Altough gearbox is the same clutch is not - 1.6 & 1.8 share the clutch & flywheel.

comparisment reg. consumption & power... 1.6 really uses less fuel and goes like a rocket. It revs pretty amazing... and mine holds avg 7.2 liter/100km (cca 40mpg-imperial)
Problem you encountered holds with both of them: On the gas station you fill up oil & check the fuel [screwy] One good advice is to change oil type. Replace original grade 5w30 with grade 5w40, this will decrease oil consumption by 50%. It still did a gallon for me but in about 20.000km

Currently my focus has about 200k miles and oil problem is the only one. Read this carefully - regardless of oil consumption it still passes yearly eco test !! [thumb][thumb]
So, no other problems with the car what so ever. I can really recommend it.
Fastest I managed to go was 210kmh (about 130mph) on German autobahn.

I would not think twice in your shoes.
Off course if the insurance was cheaper then 2.0 would be totaly recommended.

I've changed several cars Mazda 3bm, Focus mk3, now Opel Astra, but I'm not lettin go of the mk1 it is the best one so far. I own it like 10 years now. [thumb]

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
=o must be a ok thing because i run 5-20 and don't burn a thing.

get what you feel comfortable with, me 1.8 would be fine for some reason the euro engines seem smaller but they tend to have a bit more power due to NA regulations on dumbing down engines... NA is the only place where you can get a V8 dumbed down to the power of a 4cyl

1 - 13 of 13 Posts