Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dad owns a 2003, 1.6L (100hp) silver Focus sedan, it's pretty much basic nothing special, it has at the moment 109.000km on the clock, we bought it with about 27k in 2007. So to get to the point, tommorow we're going to set a deal on a Ford Focus 1.6 EcoBoost (150hp) titanium with 133.000km. It has leather seats, navigation, park assist, front and rear parking sensors, start button to turn the car on, bluetooth, hill hold, folding mirrors,...The car was driven by a woman in Netherland mostly on highways, which she then sold to the car salesman here in Slovenia, so the car is imported. The woman is the Salesmans aunt, so he knows a bit about the car. Anyway we're gonna sell our Focus for about 1500€ and buy the new Focus for 9800€ which is amazingly cheap if youre comparing it to other Focus estates that are sold here for about 10-13k in that kind of condition and equipment. (i'll try to lower the price to about 9-9500€ anyway haha :p ). So is it worth it? What are the common problems i should be expecting from the car? What do i have to check when i come see the car? We will be going to a mechanic to check what's up with the car though, but still.

Here's the mk1 focus we have currently( i dont have any pics of the car so here's one i found on google images, it looks exactly the same just different wheels and no mud flaps):

And here's the mk3 Focus that we want to buy(pics are from the cars advert):

Thank you for reading. Sorry for my bad english [hihi]

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you think having a new car, with more miles is worth it, than yes. :)

By the way, I love the estates. If they offered them here in America id get one yesterday. Its a really good looking car, and if the price is right go for it. Have you driven it yet?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Good luck ! Imagine all you will get from here is envious posts ! Love that wagon

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you think having a new car, with more miles is worth it, than yes. :)

By the way, I love the estates. If they offered them here in America id get one yesterday. Its a really good looking car, and if the price is right go for it. Have you driven it yet?
Haha im concerned about the miles too but the car has alot of equipment, and has all the papers when it was going on a service and so on, so i guess it's worth it :). Me too man! More than the hatch :p. I haven't driven it yet, my dad did but he didnt take a proper test drive.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A lot of miles on a young car typically indicates the car has seen a lot of extended highway driving for most of it's life. The good news about that is that most of the wear and tear parts are probably just fine (clutch, brakes, suspension components), I would expect many trouble free miles from the car. That being said, here in the states we don't have that specific spec of Focus, and the one caveat I would have is the turbo, I'd see what Fords recommended rebuild interval (if any) is for the turbo, and have someone who knows about turbos take a spin and listen. Just my 2 cents :)

Don't forget to have all of your fluids changed when you get it, or have it thrown in as part of the deal (I always do this for any used car I buy)....

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
At that price you are stealing the car!!!
I have not heard of any issues with this spec Focus.
Usual wear and tear items, like suspension buts and the like.
So a good test drive on roads you travel and makes sure everything feels tight.

I do find it hard to believe you can get this car at that price. This car in Estonia would be Euro 13,000 to 15,000.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A lot of miles on a young car typically indicates the car has seen a lot of extended highway driving for most of it's life. The good news about that is that most of the wear and tear parts are probably just fine (clutch, brakes, suspension components), I would expect many trouble free miles from the car. That being said, here in the states we don't have that specific spec of Focus, and the one caveat I would have is the turbo, I'd see what Fords recommended rebuild interval (if any) is for the turbo, and have someone who knows about turbos take a spin and listen. Just my 2 cents :)

Don't forget to have all of your fluids changed when you get it, or have it thrown in as part of the deal (I always do this for any used car I buy)....
That's what i was saying too. Oh you're right! Totally forgot about the turbo haha, gonna highlight that to the dealer tommorow. I'll probably try throwing it in as part of the deal for the fluids, seems more reasonable and because i maybe get a discount? Who knows haha [giggle]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At that price you are stealing the car!!!
I have not heard of any issues with this spec Focus.
Usual wear and tear items, like suspension buts and the like.
So a good test drive on roads you travel and makes sure everything feels tight.

I do find it hard to believe you can get this car at that price. This car in Estonia would be Euro 13,000 to 15,000.
I know right! I cannot believe they've putten a price like that on a pretty stuffed with equipment car. Those are the plans for tommorow :)

I hardly believe it too, but i'm not gonna say that to them [rofl] But yeah we have pretty much the same prices here, it's just this one gem that stands out, which is a bit suspicious too, but ill make sure there are no big flaws in it.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I probably would try to find one that has less miles then your current car. I wouldnt buy a new car with more miles. with that being said, looks like a really nice car! loaded too! i wish they sold the estate in America, i would have bought that instead. i think they look great.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I probably would try to find one that has less miles then your current car. I wouldnt buy a new car with more miles. with that being said, looks like a really nice car! loaded too! i wish they sold the estate in America, i would have bought that instead. i think they look great.
I did, but no luck, and it was over our budget too :/ Yeah man i love this wagon! Makes it look way better in my opinion :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So today we went to the dealer, and for the first time i was actually IN the car. Leather seems great, good condition, every electric thing works, some rock chips in the front but nothing to worry about and puurrss lovely! Handling is also amazing, the boot is pretty big for my standards, rear legroom is not so much but you can still get comfy, the navigation and those other bits there also work like it should and i just love everything about the car [:I] Engine wise everything is OEM, even the battery, works like a swiss clock, but time will tell haha. Here's some pics i made when i was there, sadly the car was locked at the time i took the pics [bigcry]

And before we went to the dealer i took pics of our old Focus :)

Sorry for the dirt and shitty pics haha

And here's a pic before it got 100.000km on the clock [headbang]
Took this in the summer 2014

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
158 Posts
150,000km (90,000mi) is nothing, especially if it was highway driving. That car looks like a great buy. I wish that drivetrain was offered in North America.

My only potential concern is the trailer hitch, what was the previous owner towing would be my first question and how often was she towing?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I have a trailer hitch on our 1.6L Ti-VCT 125hp. It is very uncommon not to have a trailer hitch over here.
I think the Focus 1.6 EcoBoost is rated to tow unbraked 1,500Lbs, and braked 3,300lbs

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a trailer hitch on our 1.6L Ti-VCT 125hp. It is very uncommon not to have a trailer hitch over here.
I think the Focus 1.6 EcoBoost is rated to tow unbraked 1,500Lbs, and braked 3,300lbs
Good to know and interesting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
150,000km (90,000mi) is nothing, especially if it was highway driving. That car looks like a great buy. I wish that drivetrain was offered in North America.

My only potential concern is the trailer hitch, what was the previous owner towing would be my first question and how often was she towing?
Yeah i wanted to ask about the trailer hitch but forgot :/ Probably used for vacation maybe? Or for business.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can expect the car to take around 400.000 kms without any problem if it has no current problems. In recent months I had seen 2 cars, one is 2009 Toyota Corolla 1.4 4D-4 , other one is 2010 focus 1.6 tdci both has previously been used as taxi and both is over 400.000 kms. What I want to say is new technology engined cars with a good service history may not waste your money. I purchased my car last month from a dealer at 36.100 kms and I totally believe that the car will not ruin me until at least 300.000 kms. Don't worry about the kms at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can expect the car to take around 400.000 kms without any problem if it has no current problems. In recent months I had seen 2 cars, one is 2009 Toyota Corolla 1.4 4D-4 , other one is 2010 focus 1.6 tdci both has previously been used as taxi and both is over 400.000 kms. What I want to say is new technology engined cars with a good service history may not waste your money. I purchased my car last month from a dealer at 36.100 kms and I totally believe that the car will not ruin me until at least 300.000 kms. Don't worry about the kms at all.

That actually sounds legit. But i just found out today that the car doesn't have a service history, it has some papers and receipts though. Probably the original owner(the woman, his aunt) forgot it at home and left it there in Netherland. We were planning on picking the car up tommorow, but now mom isn't so sure about it, so we're gonna take the car to Ford service, plug it on the computer and check what's up. If the results wont be satisfying i already found a backup one. 1.6 TDCi 116HP, 10/2012, 92.000km on the clock, which is a lot less, NAVI, PDC in the back, heated seats, phone and bluetooth. Maybe i missed something but yeah it is also good equipped, doesn't look as fancy as the grey one though, i was really into this car but i guess i'll see tommorow what's gonna happen. Here's some pics of the backup.

So yeah, no leather seats, no fancy climate control as the grey one, no front PDC, no self parking assist, rear windows are manual, weaker engine.. but it has a lot less miles, and is newer for almost a year, and the dealer is giving 1 year of warranty, had only 1 owner, it was driven only on longer trips, warranty on the kilometers and it was regularly serviced at the Ford shop.
Thoughts on this black one? Am i better off with this one even though it has a bit less of equipment?

Sorry for my english again, thanks for reading:)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts