Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Anyone know where I can buy stepper motors for a 2008 Ford Focus SES?
I have googled it but having no luck.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
what is a stepper motor? please provide additional info.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
A motor built in steps I guess?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Stepper motors can turn to particular positions in "steps" hence the name.

I've seen the instrument panel needle motors mentioned as small stepper type, they're often used for air vent controls & other control functions.

What item the OP is looking for I can't guess.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I've seen the instrument panel needle motors mentioned as small stepper type
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6981185

So I'm going to guess, gauges.

OP. You're option is a used cluster. Just pull the good ones from it and swap.
You might be able to get brand new from a instrument cluster repair facility. But odds are they won't sell to you, their money is made from fixing them so they'd be cutting their throat.
Only place I know of is --> http://www.speedometerrepairguy.com/
Worth a shot I guess.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Stepper motors are automatic switches with multiple levels of contacts. In the days before solid state control modules, a stepper would be used to regulate the cycles of a machine. A signal pulse directed to the coil of the stepper would advance the wipers to the next level of contacts and close multiple circuits simultaneously. This would activate multiple components and ready other signal circuits, like cam switches. We have them in the pinsetting machines in our bowling alley, which date to 1963. They're a lot of fun to troubleshoot, unlike solid state and microprocessor. In our industry the steppers were history by 1965.

Toby

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
... In the days before solid state control modules, a stepper would be used to regulate the cycles of a machine...

Oh! Stepper motor story-time? Here is another cool one.

Pilots and co-pilots in some fixed and some rotary-wing aircraft have a system (IHADSS) that allows the sighting/targeting system to follow the head movement of a pilot wearing an IHADSS helmet. When these aircraft are built, there is a calibration required to ensure the sensors on the aircraft are properly positioned. During this calibration, a mechanical and robot like IHADSS head is mounted inside the aircraft. A super cool computer and Unix/Linux/Solaris set of embedded software controls the Head that has 2 stepper motors that replicate (some of) the movement of a human head. We could step each axis in very small increments. Problem was, after "stepping it" we had no feedback to confirm that it stepped and that it is now in the commanded position. We redesigned it with some bad-ass stepper motors that included a positional feedback circuit. Man-oh-man those new stepper motors were a couple grand a piece and super fun to integrate into the new design.

When I asked the OP "what's a stepper motor", I knew what they are, but did not know where our car uses them. Maybe he is mod'ing his car and adding an IHADSS type of system. IHADSS plus a 30mm gun or Hellfire missiles would be better than the HOV lane on freeways.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,612 Posts
When I asked the OP "what's a stepper motor", I knew what they are, but did not know where our car uses them.
Stepper motors are common in cruise control servos like the Ford servo...the stepper motors replaced vacuum motors.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Why would one want to put a bowling alley in their car?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In order to improve ones chances of scoring... while driving.
Then I want to buy a couple of them... [woot][woot][woot]

Thanks everyone.... I was looking on ebay for used ones. I can get them cheap but I figured if they wasn't much money I would buy new ones.
I emailed a company but no response, so looks like a used one.

Thanks

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
What cluster is that?

Thought the Focus cluster plugged in from the back (blue plug).

Here's the guts of a 2000-2004 cluster, for reference:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Here's the guts of a 2000-2004 cluster, for reference:

Curious what does the LCD display on the left show? I ask as all of the 00-04 and 05-07 clusters I have seen only have the LCD on the right, with the cruise control, upshift, and O/D light in the place of the left LCD.

·
Registered
611 Posts
These are 4 white stepper motors for my dash. Controls the gauges.
You can try to see if there are any part numbers on the gauge motors themselves and try to do a google search for them, you may have to remove one from the board as the number may be on the bottom of it. Alternatively you can get them off of a junkyard cluster as most of the time the 08-11 cars in the yards are in there for body damage not electronic or mechanical issues. That is if it is really the stepper motor that is the issue with your cluster.

Perhaps can also try a search for "ford focus gauge cluster stepper motor" which may come up with a link that will lead to this http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-05-06-Fo...ter-Fuel-Temp-RPM-stepper-motor-/331131860991 , though for that particular link the compatibility list does not expressly list any Focus in it (that I saw), it may not hurt to send them a message and ask if it will.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts