Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just joined this forum a few days ago and I noticed that there are "members" allowed to send responses to looking to buy ads placed on here that are obviously phishing scams or them just trying to collect $ for sending nothing. I had 3 different people respond to my ad looking for a spare or used pair of rear stick-on vent visors and all 3 were from "members" that had never posted anything before and were written by obvious foreign speakers. All 3 messages were sent to me within 5 hours from each other and had grammatical errors and styles that sounded like someone from China or elsewhere. I responded to one of them not noticing that they had 0 posts or that there were 2 other messages sent in a short timeframe but I ended that conversation.
Is this something that is common on here in the Marketplace? I think that people should have at least a couple of legit posts before having the ability to respond to ads in which $ would almost certainly be involved.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought. At least I see another member had the same experience.
I had assumed when I posted the ad that there was at least some kind of preventative measures to keep the scammers from contacting us on here but I guess I was wrong...
I really think that in order to send any message or answer any ad on this forum that there should be a minimum of at least 2 posts that have been verified as real and meaningful to ensure that real members are involved here. Perhaps the administrators on this forum should take notice of this problem and address it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Over on the ST forum there is a required 20 posts and 1 month membership for selling anything.
There is also a "Scammer afoot, Buyer Beware" sticky thread too.

This site and the ST site are run by vertical scope and we don't see crap from the admin.
We do have a good team of moderators though that keep it orderly.
I have yet to meet a moderator here.

If you get someone spamming/ scamming you, just report them and hope it works out. Haha.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't understand then why two similar forums have different rules even though they are run or owned by the same people. The ST forum has effective anti-scam rules but this one apparently has none!
The administrators need to do something as this just makes NO sense. Are there any moderators at all in existence on this forum to take notice?!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've had the same experience last week. I'm looking for a 67 mm throttle body for my svt and have gotten 3 or 4 replys from so called members with 0 posts giving me phone numbers to text and obviously fake emails it's pretty disappointing. last year when I first got my svt I got a bunch of parts from real members with 0 problems lately not so much .I'm starting to understand why everyone is going to FB marketplace

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
I don't understand then why two similar forums have different rules even though they are run or owned by the same people. The ST forum has effective anti-scam rules but this one apparently has none!
The administrators need to do something as this just makes NO sense. Are there any moderators at all in existence on this forum to take notice?!
We literally have the same exact rules and member filters that the ST forum has, in fact they were originally created and coded on this forum. Unfortunately the Scammers are real people with legit IP's on the other end and are not bots, which are usually caught by the spam filter. These people comb through those posts saying they have parts to sell as an easy way to collect money. Since these are legit accounts they get through the spam filter, we have no idea who they are until someone reports the account. Once reported the Mod team removes the user in short order.

So if you see a suspicious user, report them, it's all we can do with this situation right now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I mean is a good indication that they have 0 's across the board ??is there an absolute indication to go by?? I had 0's at one time also but I'm an honest person on here not a scam artist

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Every real member had a 0 at one time but that's irrelevant. What's relevant is that the scammers pretty much only have 0s and since that's the case anyone with a 0 shouldn't be able to sell anything on here(which is supposedly the case) OR message other members until they've proven that they're actual members. That means making a few posts relevant to the forum that they joined so it's obvious that they're legit in order to take advantage of more features of the forum.
As has been mentioned there's supposedly the same rules of 20 minimum posts and a month long of membership to sell but the scammer's way around this is that they try sending messages to members like me who have a thread looking to buy something. Until they have at least a few real posts these 0 posters shouldn't be able to to send messages either. A scammer won't generally bother to put in the effort to make multiple posts that seem real just to get to a minimum threshold to do their mischief. A waiting period of a week or two after joining would be helpful too before contacting other members directly with messages.
No one can tell who is an honest person or not on here especially when they are a brand new member. Hell, even in person that's hard enough to figure out on a first meeting. For that reason minimum diligence should be put in place here to keep the dishonest people in check.

·
Super Moderator
9,559 Posts
We do not allow someone to post for sale items until they have been here 30 days and have a minimum of 25 posts. This still doesn't stop someone from replying to a "Want To Buy" ad though. They do have legit IPs for the most case. If you feel that someone is trying to scam you with some BS email address, just report them and we can sort them out. One way to tell, is that they respond really quick to your request in most cases and they will send you a PM instead of replying in the post. If they ask for money, always use Paypal to make payments so that way you are covered. If they can't accept that, then don't even bother with them. Their usual ploy is to tell you that they know someone that has the part and tells you to email this person too. We as moderators/admins, don't get paid to monitor this site 24/7. So if you see any suspicious activity, by all means report it and we can check it out a lot faster.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not to revive a old thread but this is a world wide problem most likely similar to email spam and robocalls. At least it is common in the USA based on what I have seen and not restricted to vehicles and associated parts. The scams always seem to ramp up on the hot items of the time, but that could just be your perception since you are now actively participating in that market. Unfortunately right now it seems to be vehicles and parts to fix vehicles. It's enough to make you go to a stealership to avoid the time waste filtering through all the spam, scams, and predators that are around. Criminals social distance too, and the increased car jackings around the USA makes me unsurprised given how things are going for many once desperation sets in fully.

Your best bet IMO is to get to a pick and pull junk yard type place and get the parts yourself or price out OEM new parts on the important stuff like motor mounts. Many dealerships are competing with each other online and their prices change so check them all. I like Rock Auto but they will sell some garbage parts and put a heart and/or star next to them because they get little returns, including motor mounts that are not as effective as OEM. I tried to go that route since reviews seemed fine and regret it. When I chatted with Rock Auto they just referred me to the Warranty replacement policy and I would be out more $ on shipping while receiving another bad mount that is only as good as a worn out FoMoCo and fails completely with no visible signs shortly after. According to their system it's a problem fixer, and a popular part because I declined to do the job multiple extra times while paying for shipping. I bet others did the same. I knew I should have only went OEM, but the cheap price monster was alluring and the entire vehicle is worthless making me think it was a good idea at the time. Never again and now I ignore the 'popular problem fixer' tags on rock auto.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts