Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Buy a honda...

Votes: 4 16.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm considering a purchasing another car this spring. Originally I was looking at buying something like an '09 WRX, or used G35. With that plan, I would continue to modify my current 04 zetec focus and move up to FSP.

But after some consideration, I am thinking I can pick up a 03-04 hatch with a 2.3L, and build that into a competitive FSP car. Then use the Zetec car for a daily driver.

What do you guys think???

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
If you can afford it keep the zetec and guy the G35. [thumb]

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
i voted continue with the zetec, cuz thats what im doing in FSP. i though about picking up a ST to race in, but i couldnt justify a third focus in my garage, and i didnt want to give up on my zetec (it was my first new car, and i cant sell it for much).

but, if you have the room and the means $$$, get the 2.3, cuz it'll probly knock the socks of the zetec in an auto-x

·
Registered
584 Posts
As cool as a built FSP 2.3 is, a G35 is a sweet ride. I've driven probably a dozen different G35's, with many different setups. The zetec won't impress any of the big auto-x guns, but every day going to work you'll feel like a rock star. Get the S package with paddle shifters and rev-matching downshifts, or just a real stick shift if you can find one.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who voted for the honda [chair]

Ha ha, JK...I didn't expect all the input for everyone saying that I buy the G35. I do like the G35...but then again I just saw pics of the new 370Z, now that's a sweet looking update.

Anyway, no love for the 2.3L, I just feel that this is the only real competitve focus for FSP out there. Actually it may not be to bad in STS either. Oh well, I appreciate everyones input, keep the comments coming.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Forget any Focus for National STS. STX is better--not great, but better, especially if you can get a 235-245 to work, along with LSD. Tire to weight ratio won't work in STS with a 225. That said, a 2.3 in FSP built like the Mueller's car--on 275s--is very much a National contender.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
I vote for the 2.3L because you find out tomorrow why for a 2.3l. with the mods i have an even with the LSD i just fly threw 1st an some what of 2nd.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forget any Focus for National STS. STX is better--not great, but better, especially if you can get a 235-245 to work, along with LSD. Tire to weight ratio won't work in STS with a 225. That said, a 2.3 in FSP built like the Mueller's car--on 275s--is very much a National contender.
Ah, guess I should have clarified there, I think the 2.3L will do OK locally in STS. SCR SCCA region doesn't have any honda's that compete regularly in STS, so I think I could do OK there. I understand it's not a national level car. Since I'm wrapping up my first season of autox, I don't think I'll be on the national level too soon.

How does Mueller's car fit 275's on the focus??? 8" wheels with 25mm+ spacer??

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I vote for the 2.3L because you find out tomorrow why for a 2.3l. with the mods i have an even with the LSD i just fly threw 1st an some what of 2nd.
Yeah, count on doing some fun runs [woot]

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice pic of Mueller's car, thanks.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I went and drove a used 350Z today, I have to admit, I really liked the ride, and it seemed to handle pretty well. I'm going to try and drive an RX-8 later in the week to give that a shot as well. The local subaru still doesn't have an 2009 WRX in stock, so I'm waiting to get a shot at driving that. So the saga continues...

Oh yeah, I hate car salesmen. I laughed outloud at Nissan's used car manager told me that an Altima coupe was the same as a G35...idiots.

·
Registered
995 Posts
go with a 2.3. or you could always run a WRX in STX.

But a honda? That will definitely bump you out of FSP-

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually the new WRX has to run in STU, though it may do pretty well with it new found power boost.

The honda choice is really out there because the hondas do so well in STS.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So now we're more even in the current car versus a 2.3L, and we gots another honda voter. I know the older honda's are great handling cars, I just have trouble getting excited about them. I think I need to make it a point to try and drive a Civic or a CRX at the next autox, just to get a feel for them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
A monkey can make a SpecCivic go 90% of its potential--and that still beats most other STS cars. They are that easy to drive--just follow the Redshift 'recipe' when building it...

·
slow
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A monkey can make a SpecCivic go 90% of its potential--and that still beats most other STS cars. They are that easy to drive--just follow the Redshift 'recipe' when building it...
Sorry, not sure on the Redshift 'recipe'...?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts