Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch is no longer grabbing well at all in the higher gears (3-6), so i'm pretty sure the clutch is about to go.

I'm not necessarily looking to get a real high performance clutch as i do not race. I have been reading a couple other threads regarding the clutch dilemma. Apparently you can not pair a clutch with the original flywheel that came in the car because of the different sizes or something like that? Can you not even fit in an OEM clutch with the original fly wheel?

I also read that the avg. amount that will be spent on labor alone is about 600 dollars.. What's the average price of a decent clutch / flywheel, and does an after market clutch and flywheel combo have a large performance increase over factory equipment?

Any other advice / input is well appreciated.

Jack

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
I got a luck rep clutch for 475 picked up and thats the cheapest I have found.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ask yourself (r u going to keep the car) If you need a new clutch you should get a better flywheel and then add the LSD. It will all cost about 1200.00-1500.00 if your going to do. Do it right.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
First off welcome to the forums!! and I see your from texas even better all the cool peeps are in TX......ok that statment might not be 100% true but you get the idea lol. Has for the clutch problem yeah ford redesigned the clutch and flywheel so it's not that easy going down to the parts store and getting a clutch and stuff. You will need a new flywheel and clutch which is why its so exspensive. Now do you go with stock (new flywheel and clutch) or go to a aftermarket (clutch and flywheel). If price is a consern then shop around you can find deals that pop up. So i guess get what ever you feel is better/cheaper be it stock or aftermarket. Now if you get a aftermarket clutch/fly. combo then your flywheel will be lighter and the car will want to rev quicker. Everybody says that the way it should have come from the factory and I agree. The stock flywheels weigh alot where a aftermarket flywheel is half the wieght of the stocker and that will give you quicker accelleration and better gas mileage (how much who knows where talking a small percentage less weight less gas to get moving). But like I said whatever you decide you can find good deals out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great, thanks a lot for the advice guys i really appreciate it. I do plan on using this car for quite a while to come as i'm going through college and what not, won't have the funds for a new ride for quite a while.

I have read up on the different clutch/ flywheel manufacturers a little bit, i have seen the name Luk a few times, are there any good brands that are recommended other than that one? Also, are there any specs or things i should know or look out for while in the market?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
i have heard good things from guys on here about spec clutches.. def go with a lightweight flywheel too.. you might as well do it right, youre going to be putting out a chunk of change either way so spend the extra couple hundred and be happy in the end.

·
Registered
114 Posts
IMHO if you are using the car as a daily driver and not racing or modifying the car to great lengths, get the LUK clutch kit. It is nearly identical to stock and will serve you just fine. On the other hand, if you plan down the road to really go great guns on the car for speed etc...you might want to up grade.

"Ask yourself (r u going to keep the car) If you need a new clutch you should get a better flywheel and then add the LSD. It will all cost about 1200.00-1500.00 if your going to do. Do it right"

I don't think that putting a LUK clutch kit in the car isn't doing it right, you really have to look at your application.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
I barely put the luck rep set on this weekend and I love it, its better then stock

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
How many miles do you have on your current clutch?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts