Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
so i took my 2016 st to my local drag strip for some fun. first time ive ever been to one. ive done autoX before. i staged up but i think i let nerves get the best of me and i had the car in reverse and didnt realize until i tried laumching and went backwards ever so slightly. then i took it out of reverse and tried putting it in first and it wouldnt go in so i put it in 3rd and went to accelerate yet the car acted like i put it in 5th. when i got of the track i wiggled the shifter and all the gears where back where they should be. when i parked the car i had a strong oder that i think is the clutch. i then left the track and babied it all the way home. it didnt have any slippage or odd noises it just smelt really bad. im not sure exactly what happened. i do plan on putting it on the lift at my shop tomorrow too see if i cant find anything wrong underneath the car. what do you all think might be wrong?

w/ my magic bag
Burning the disc & pressure plate doesn't do it any as well as starting out in 3rd gear...I'd say your best off or should say your car is best off of you not doing that. Best to stick to the autoxing.....

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
i didnt launch in 3rd. i launced in reverse because i thought i put it in first. then when i went backwards the little bit i did i took it out of reverse to put it in 1st so i could get off the track. it wouldnt go into first or second so i put it in third to go but it acted like i put it in 5th.

3rd Time's the Charm
These cars have an interesting clutch set up where once it heats up, the entire shifting mechanism feels squishy and wrong. The clutch pedal doesn't want to return up, and it keeps burning the clutch.

Good news is, it cools and recovers in most cases.

I didn't launch in reverse, but at the track, I grabbed second hard, and it zinged the RPMs to near redline, and me being me, I let it stay there and finished the run. It was NOT happy with me for a few hours after that.

Let it cool 2-3 hours, went back to the line and ran the car again and got my best MPH of the day, even with a little bit of babying.

Since then, I can't go balls deep in second or flat foot shift it, but it still grabs well and I'm not scared to beat on it as long as I don't powershift.

So, long story short, what you experienced was a pretty major oopsie, but you shouldn't need to worry about fixing it immediately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts