Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Focus that is giving off a burning smell whenever I run the fan. Initially the fan was only working only on 4 so after some research I determined that this could be caused by the blower motor fuse. I replaced that and the now the fan works on all settings, however, there was a plastic burning smell after I put it back together. I then read that the reason why the fuse could fail is because of debris in the blower motor. I took off the motor and cleaned out a bunch of leaves and stuff, reattached the motor, but I'm still getting the smell. I popped open the hood and I don't smell anything burning in there. Is it possible that the smell is coming from the motor blower and that it could be failing? Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I could be totally wrong and probably am. However when my first alternator failed I smelled a burning smell without a battery light. Days later my radio went off, and a week after that my ex wife (was wife back then) was stranded.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I could be totally wrong and probably am. However when my first alternator failed I smelled a burning smell without a battery light. Days later my radio went off, and a week after that my ex wife (was wife back then) was stranded.
Witness. This happened to me twice, and it got worse with the A/C on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like it is the blower motor that is giving off the smell. I popped the motor out of the canister and ran the fan without the engine running. The smell kicked up again after a minute or so of the fan running. Looks like the failing fan may have killed the resistor. If anyone thinks I missed something, please let me know. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts