Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm the only one having this problem with their new Focus.
I checked my oil last night only to find the dip stick dry!! I only had 1914KM on the car! Had to add 3 litres of oil, took a drive on the highway of 54KM and the dip stick is down a 1/4 inch from the full mark. The worst part was no low oil pressure light came on. My old Honda didn't burn this much oil and it had almost 400000KM on it.

It's goes to the dealer tommorrow. I'm regretting buying this car now. I want to hand them the keys and walk away from the car.

What would you guys/girls do?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Since the manual states that you should change the oil at nearly year long intervals, I'd say you hit something while driving and have an oil leak. Besides, cars don't burn oil, they burn gas. All that oil is for lubrication only, the level shouldn't really change much.

·
Registered
588 Posts
A car burning that much oil would smoke like made and stink like hell. Is your brand new car emitting clouds of blue smoke? No? Well, it's not burning oil.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but perhaps you need to learn the proper procedure for checking your oil.

From the manual:

---

ENGINE OIL
Checking the engine oil
Refer to the scheduled maintenance information for the appropriate
intervals for checking the engine oil.
1. Make sure the vehicle is on level ground.
2. Turn the engine off and wait 15 minutes for the oil to drain into the
oil pan.
3. Set the parking brake and ensure the gearshift is securely latched in P
(automatic transmission) or 1st (manual transmission).
4. Open the hood. Protect yourself from engine heat.
5. Locate and carefully remove the engine oil level dipstick.
6. Wipe the dipstick clean. Insert the dipstick fully, then remove it again.

---

I've bolded the important part. Did you do this? You do know that this car has a system which uses engine oil to adjust camshaft timing, don't you? That's why it says to wait 15 minutes after parking the car on level ground to check the oil.

If you skipped step 2, you've probably overfilled your engine with oil. You'd better hope you don't blow any seals or something because of it.

What would you guys/girls do?
Post on the internet that your car is junk, panic, and then threaten dealership staff until they 'make it right.'

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am aware that cars normally don't burn oil, well until they get older and seals start to dry out. My old car didn't burn this much oil and it had almost 400000KM on it.

Haven't hit anything, I'm the only person who drives the car. There isn't any oil on the bottom of the car anywhere I can see and no puddles in the driveway. The engine bay is clean. It's buring it!

·
Registered
425 Posts
1. Calm down
2. Take it to the dealer, you have a warranty. If the engine blows up, they replace it for free.
3. Post the solution to the problem on here
4. Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can't see any clouds of smoke , but then again my windows are tinted. Ever think it may not burn oil untill it hits a certain RPM? I drive 90% highway, and don't drive it hard when I'm in town.
The shift light comes on just before 2000RPM and on the highway the RPM sits around 3000.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did you check the oil level when you bought the car? May have come from the factory with a low level. The oil level anywhere in the hatchmarks is adequate. The car only holds 4.5 quarts so if you are adding 3+ quarts you definatley have a problem.[:0]

·
Registered
788 Posts
A new car is NOT burning oil, have you checked for leaks? In the past I have found the factory filter is spun on very tight, yours could be over tightened warped and leaking, or the oil pan bolts may not have been torqued evenly, or the drain plug could be loose.
Don't regret anything until the service department looks at it and please don't become a constant complainer about every little thing that comes up, that's what the new car warranty is for.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The engine in my Celica (1zz) went through 3 quarts of oil within 1700 miles of an oil change before. I'm not the only one to have this kind of problem with the year 2000-2003 engines either. The problem with the engine that was fixed in '04 was that the oil return holes in the pistons were too small. After a long while they would just get clogged up so the oil wouldn't drip back down into the pan, and get burned out in the cylinders instead. I never saw any blue smoke or smelled anything that made me wonder until one day my engine started ticking while driving down the highway.

The only problem with this explanation for your situation is that the amount of mileage it takes before possibly having this problem with '00-'03 1zz was anywhere from 60,000 miles to 160,000 miles, but you know the rule, YMMV. ~2000 KM though? I doubt this exact issue applies.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Since the manual states that you should change the oil at nearly year long intervals, I'd say you hit something while driving and have an oil leak. Besides, cars don't burn oil, they burn gas. All that oil is for lubrication only, the level shouldn't really change much.
I have to respectfully ask: are you familiar with the concept of either a worn-out engine, or an engine with damaged piston rings, or with damaged valve guides? In the case of the 2012 Focus, it's likely the latter.

I note, as well, that the degree of tolerance, in said components, varies in a mass-produced engine. Some tend to burn more oil than others.

Also, during break-in, they all burn more oil.

Engines decidedly DO burn oil, to varying degrees!

The fact that, in a city-driven car, the oil level does not appear to drop -- is due to combustion moisture building up, and actual oil level content dropping (due to oil being burnt). Take said car out onto the highway for a good blast, for a few hours, and presto, the oil level is seen to be lower. The moisture has been evaporated away at high temp.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Could be your filter. I changed my oil at 1000km and found the FoMoCo factory filter was leaking. The crimp where the housing attaches to the base was bad. I know it doesn't look that bad but still shouldn't happen.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Could be your filter. I changed my oil at 1000km and found the FoMoCo factory filter was leaking. The crimp where the housing attaches to the base was bad. I know it doesn't look that bad but still shouldn't happen.

Good choice, to drop the oil / change filter at 1000 km. Oil is cheap. Get rid of that initial break-in material!

Also, no side-ways mounted filter! Yahoo; no-mess filter removals...

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The fact that, in a city-driven car, the oil level does not appear to drop -- is due to combustion moisture building up, and actual oil level content dropping (due to oil being burnt). Take said car out onto the highway for a good blast, for a few hours, and presto, the oil level is seen to be lower. The moisture has been evaporated away at high temp.
Yup. When the oil level does not go down.. many times it is due to water and crude getting in the oil supply.
This is more likely for a motor doing short stop and go driving..

·
Registered
573 Posts
What does the inside of the tailpipe look/feel like?
What does the underside of the engine look like?

Could be burning, could be leaking, could be doing both.
Stop driving around and take it to the dealer, either way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update. The dealer checked the car over and couldn't see a leak. But I kinda saw that one coming as I didn't see anything either (considering the amount of oil it was down it should have been obvious if there was a leak). They topped it up again and marked the dip stick to monitor. I have a 80KM round trip on the highway for work so it won't take long to tell what's up.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
At minimum this topic made me go check my oil level today!

I have had my Focus since August 26th and had put on 620 miles so far.
I thought jeez what if MY oil is way down?

Nope it is perfect. Though I was surprised the entire dipstick was oily top to bottom. Took a few wipe/insert, rewipe to clean it off. (Have to see if the oil just gets splashed up it all the time?)
I have been running up to upper RPMs just a few times already to get it breaking in...

·
Registered
468 Posts
So it's burning three quarts of oil every 1,000 miles?

How did you not notice the large clouds of blue smoke when you left the dealership?
3 Liters is almost 4 quarts![eek]

1 - 20 of 71 Posts