Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My babies first tank is gone, went 334 miles before Trip said 10 miles to empty. I drove very conservatively.
Fuel gage was just barely touching the red part.

All city driving, it took 11.086 gallons to fill him back up. Dealer sent me off with a full tank,
but 4 miles were on the clock already.

Do the math, I got 29.77 MPG. Trip says 28.4 MPG Ave. It's nice to know that when the needle is on EMPTY, I can go another 40 miles.

Houston is flat, and almost at sea level, but HOT. The three things that have a big impact on mileage:
terrain, oxygen, and temperature. I can't wait until it cools off a little.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There goes the ice cap! Hope you have A/C.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
not bad at all, should get better as the car loosens up

·
Registered
89 Posts
I live in Houston and usually only average 17-20mpg in my Mazda (240 miles to a tank in all-city driving). If the Focus gets close to 30 in the same situation, that's fantastic.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I picked up almost 1.2 Liters Per 100 K (5 MPG) after the first 3000KM in my Fiesta.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just went through my first tank today too. I've got a road trip in the morning so I had to fill at 1/4 tank. I used 8.44 gallons and did 303.2 miles for 35.9 mpg. This was with a 50/50 split of city/hwy miles. Its been in the 90's in Denver but I rarely use the a/c since I'm from Arizona and it feels like a cool breeze. Overall I was quite impressed. My best individual trip was a 28 mile light traffic day to work at 51.5 mpg.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My best individual trip was a 28 mile light traffic day to work at 51.5 mpg.
How can you get 51.5 mpg when you only went 28 miles? Isn't that 28 miles per 0.5437 gallon.[dunno]
So, you live up on the side of a mountain and you coasted to work? JK

·
Registered
54 Posts
I reset my average MPG going down the highway last night....managed to get it up to 50.1 MPG over a 6-7 mile stretch before my exit.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, if I reset my average, and roll downhill with the engine off for several miles, will mine read INFINITY mpg?

Gee, I could be Buzz Lightyear!

·
Registered
155 Posts
How can you get 51.5 mpg when you only went 28 miles? Isn't that 28 miles per 0.5437 gallon.[dunno]
I suppose you are right about the miles per .5437 gallon, but the average per gallon is probably a little easier to wrap your head around. I actually live in a valley at the base of the mountain. There is an altitude drop of about 400 feet but it is spread over about 30 miles making it negligible. The city portion is 45 mph with lights spread far apart and timed well. When traffic is light there are opportunities for coasting. The highway is limited to 55 mph in this area with zones of 45 mph for construction. With a light touch on the gas it will cruise at over 50 mpg in these areas. On the reverse trip last night I saw 42.5 mpg in less favorable road and traffic conditions. The big difference was I spent considerable more time stopped at traffic lights. I'm still at only 400 miles so I expect some continued mild improvement as the car breaks in and I switch to synthetic oil.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anybody know how our cars compute MPG? The question came up at lunch yesterday.
Is it rocket science or something theoretical or basic.

My Mustang's computer is off by a wide margin compared to actual miles driven divided by amount of gas put in at refill.
To me, thats the actual average MPG for that tank of gas, not a computer calculated instantaneous average (how?) or something else?[dunno]

·
Registered
155 Posts
Does anybody know how our cars compute MPG? The question came up at lunch yesterday.
Is it rocket science or something theoretical or basic.

My Mustang's computer is off by a wide margin compared to actual miles driven divided by amount of gas put in at refill.
To me, thats the actual average MPG for that tank of gas, not a computer calculated instantaneous average (how?) or something else?[dunno]
With the precision of direct fuel injection it's not hard for the computer to calculate exactly how much fuel was used. My first tank was off by only .2 mpg using the fill to two clicks method.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Didn't bother with the first tank. On the second tank we got 23 to 25, all around town. Now on the third tank and 500 miles on the clock and still around town. It has moved up to 25 to 27 mpg. It's getting better and I'm very happy. If it gets up to the low 30's after 1,000 miles I'll be Very Happy.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Didn't bother with the first tank.
I know mileage should improve, I'm already happy, hence the post.

Looks like knowbody knows how the mileage computer monitor works. And,
I can not get much info on the net. I don't really care what mileage I'm getting
instantaneously... I just want an accurate "average mileage per tankfull" gage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Funny you say that.

I just drove my SE 1100kms to my job. I do live in the mountains and the first 35 km of my drive was downhill I managed 52MPG on the computer.

The entire trip I managed 6.8l/100km or 35.1MPG on the computer
but I traveled 650km at 120Km/h (75mph) on one tank [:)~]. which according to my calculation is around 6.1l/100k or 38 mpg.

Either way I'm stoked about the fuel economy and it'll only get better.

My biggest issue is I never want to upshift when the car tells me to. 50kph in 5th seems odd to me

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I see it's still cold up there in Canada, and you were going NW.

My US model SE does not display compass direction? Is it supposed to?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts