Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fellow FFers

i havent had any mechanical problems with my focus for the past 4 years ive had it until now. Yeh, my A/C is [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] up like the rest, and yeh my ignition cylinder also locked on me, and yeh just about every piece of the FORDCRAPULAR dash rattles (i prolly need new motor mounts and bushings)

Now i dont know whats wrong, but i believe it could possibly have to do with the fuel pump issue (being that mine is a 2000). I only think this because it seems like my car IS NOT getting gas when i accelerate....

RIGHT on start up i notice a lopey idle... it sounds like i have aggresive cams or sumthin (which me and my friends agreed it actually makes the exhaust tone sound MUCH better, lol).... but i DONT have cams, so obviously something is wrong. It used to have a smooth BRPPPPPPPP idle, now its more like BRUPBRUPBRUP all choppy and what not.

When i try and drive, i push the pedal down and it jerks back and forth. ill get 3 ft, then a jerk and a burble, then another 3 ft, and another jerk back and this burble from the exhaust.

hopefully i can get the recall done for my fuel pump (which i never have done yet) and that will clear everything up, but im worried the problem could be more serious. Can anyone give some insight? Anything similar happen to someone else? Does anyone know whats wrong with my baby?

Thanks in advance for all the help![thumb]

long-time FFer
Brian

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is (old alcaselter commercial)

ok, try to change your fuel filter, check your plugs like said

and go to ford and tell them to change your fuel pump.. RIGHT NOW (tell the RIGHT NOW, i'm not telling you to do it RIGHT NOW)

but you might want to do it ASAP so your car isn't dead on the highway with a crapped out fuel pump. and if that isn't the problem then no worries about the fuel pump any more.

it does sound like poor fuel delivery though

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx for the quick replies guys!

I didnt even think to check the plugs/wires/coil pack.... could failure in these parts cause symptoms similar to what i mentioned? I will look though, anything to look for when i inspect that maybe shouldnt be there?

clogged injectors? oh man, i hope not...

i was also thinkin it was a bad tank of gas, so i filled up a 2gal gas tank and put it in, let it run, still burbling and jerking.

I think i will make an appointment to do the fuel pump recall.

b16sir is nice enough to run my vin# to check if my car is still valid. If you see this b16sir, then ill get you the vin# ASAP. im going to work now, and will PM you by tonight, if not tomorrow.

Again, thanx for the replies and more are welcome!!!!!!!

Brian

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
you know what! check all the vacuum hoses (and "tubes") on the back of your engine, i've had one pop out while going down the road and the car kicked like a horse then shut off. it was a solid tube maybe aluminum.

it's worth a look

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
The fuel pump is pricey and it takes time to change. TAKE it to ford and get it done, you have a car that is succeptable to it, Just call the dealer and tell him what is going on and get it down there to be replaced. If he replaces the fuel filter. GREAT..If he doesn't either pay them to do that ,too Or get it done yourself. PLEASE do the most likely thing first especially since Ford is willing to cover it. If you still have issues we will help you through them.
I replace my fuel filter every 30k and its always fuel of crap. The tanks seem to be dirty on our Fofo's. Get that thing changed.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
yeah my fuel filter was full of crap too, it looked like coffee with dirt in it, but smelled like gas.. and boy was it tasty!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yea try the basic things first. I've seen things like spark plug wires do things to cars that you wouldn't expect. Anyways its always in your best interest to replace the cheaper things.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
^^ i agree with crimson

the fuel pump is pricey but he has a 2000 so it should have been recalled i'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Thats my point ^^^ If Ford is gonna cover it...Do it... Then worry about the other stuff, if Ford fixxes the problem ( it was the fuel pump )..then no worries.Don't ignore one of the greatest possibilities and go grabbin' straws unless Ford says no.

·
Registered
420 Posts
That sounds like your car is misfiring. Mine did the same thing pretty much. Sounded like a WRX

And it smelled like crap (My buddy followed me home)..

rpms were up and down like crazy, and it kept backfiring.

eventually, I got a new head gasket, and it's been fine since

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
actually now that you say that, it reminds me of something. i think i may have a blown valve cover gasket. Now, it could be the head gasket, but this seems like theres oil leeking right underneath the valve cover. Upon further inpspection, there is oil all over my thermostat housing, and all over the radiator hoses near the thermostat.

Could a valve cover gasket (or head gasket) thats leaking oil be the problem? Thats easy enough to change with some hand tools and a couple hours right?

Anyways, ive been calling FORD to do the fuel pump recall, and i was supposed to make an appointment, but a big storm messed up there computer system (so they say) so i gotta wait. [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] A MAN! this is really pissing me off!

Im glad i got a beater to drive around while my baby is at the stealership....

thank you all for you input, and more ideas and comments welcome!!
Brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts