Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved from Parma Ohio to Glendale Arizona over the last week, I drove my car with no problems at all. I noticed a little rattling noise which kind of sounded to me like a loose heat shield. I took it to a dealer by me which told me my whole exhaust system needs to be replaced converter,muffler hardware etc... due to corrosion. They said the work will be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty which is still good on my car since it only has 23,000 miles and it's an 04. A week goes by and the dealership calls to tell me that the parts have arrived but Ford will not pay for the repairs since the corrosion is "NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR". My car is 2 years old and the whole exhaust needs to be replaced what a bunch of crap. I called SVT which I think the guys over there just seem to be total pricks, they agree with the dealer in this case. Ford customer service said some big head inspector from Ford will inspect my car and determine if it's indeed a material defect. The dealer wants $1100.00 for the repairs on my car. So the moral is bumper to bumper means nothing! It really seems to be up to the dealer as to what will be covered. THIS IS MY LAST AMERICAN CAR........ If they can't make an exhaust system last more than 2 years then DONT SELL THE CARS IN COLD CLIMATES. CRAP, CRAP.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Well that sucks man, I agree though the car's exhaust should be able to stand more than 2 winters.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
i'm in ohio too. that is bullshit as i have an 04 too and i get that rattling also. i've yet to take mine in for that. it should be covered as it is premature wear. i have an aunt that lives there. [thumb] beautiful place to live.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well since I know what Ford will tell me after they inspect it, what is the best sounding/lasting aftermarket exhaust kit out there for our cars? I would assume that I could get a kit for far less than $1100. Do these after market kits include converters and are they emmisions legal? Thanks for the quick replies.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
greggmeister said:
Well since I know what Ford will tell me after they inspect it, what is the best sounding/lasting aftermarket exhaust kit out there for our cars? I would assume that I could get a kit for far less than $1100. Do these after market kits include converters and are they emmisions legal? Thanks for the quick replies.
The popular opinion seems to be Borla (full stainless steel, one million mile warranty and is anywhere $400-$600), but I myself use Magnaflow (also full stainless steel and a one million mile warrranty) and I love it (I got mine for about $350). Other popular systems include FocusSport and MBRP.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
you can get a borla for 365 before shipping

·
Registered
511 Posts
And a RT Cat will run you about $350 (give or take). And you will gain a bit of hp and torque.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Moved to “SVT Owners Lounge”...

Damn, that's a nutty deal. [mad]
I've got almost 40,000miles, and the car has certainly seen it's share of "cold"...exhaust is in great shape.
I'd think it's the humidity in Glendale that killed it, unless you just moved there?
Regardless, it should last longer than that!

Keep getting at the Dealer, and the Ford Customer Service line. "Squeeky wheels get oil"...
In fact, here's the "chain of command" to go through to grease those wheels:
http://www.fordvehicles.com/help/contact

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
funny, we were just discussing this at the shop today... how dealerships will wiggle out of any problem they can blame on 'normal conditions' like the local climate. The subject came up due to the following..

I had a customer stuck at my shop for 4 hours today waiting to find out if the dealer was gonna tow their car and fix it for them (19k 2005 Chevy Trailblazer with destroyed A/C clutch, melting the belt etc..) I'd have happily fixed it for them, but understandably, they wanted it covered by the dealer.

The only reason they stopped in my shop is they were lost, looking for a dealer, and smoke was pouring out from under the hood. The clutch pulley was GLOWING, and it didn't matter if the a/c was on or off.

They were on vacation, stranded, and the dealer wouldn't do anything for them, told them, they weren't sure if it would be covered, they wouldn't tow it, and too bad if they couldn't get home. Some customer service...

My mgr and I were bs'ing wondering how they(the dealer) thought it wouldn't be covered, but then we started talking about the crap they pull with exhausts, paint, clutches, etc...

ok... end of usless 'my what a coincedence' babbling... sorry

·
Registered
459 Posts
Re: bumper to bumper BS

greggmeister said:
THIS IS MY LAST AMERICAN CAR........
+ 1
It's my last american or mexican made car for that matter.
REGARDLESS

·
Registered
666 Posts
Theres OEM exhaust for sale constantly in the classifieds...check ebay too, there was an SVTF being parted out on there...

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
mine is for sale if you are interested

·
Registered
37 Posts
let me guess Earnhardt Ford...bunch of overcharging bastards. [bash] [poke] [boxface] [nutkick] [}:)]

·
Registered
297 Posts
that sux..... but i worked at a hoda dealer in western pa, and i can tell you we were replacing honda exhauts on 2 year old accords every week. it happens to all of them. you should fight it, i thought the svt exhaust was stainless, at least i thought so.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I say call ford 800 # and talk with them. Maybe the parts are covered under the 80000mi Emission warranty required by law. My 99Taurus was, but that was the catalytic converter. Last year. The dealer also said that they dont pay for it Ford does. They make sure first, but that is why the inspector is coming, I'm sure.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on the exhaust situation. I took it to another dealer in town for a 2nd opinion, and they said all it needed was a new bracket. They said the bracket near the converter broke from rust and the exhaust was just rattling away. They fixed it under warranty and really did a great job cleaning my car afterwards!! Bell Ford will be hearing from me on Monday since their just a bunch of lying cheating bozo's, trying to sell me $1100.00 of exhaust work when my car is still under warranty. So far I would recommend Sanderson Ford for repairs, great service nice people.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts