Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend accidentally backed into another car with my 3 week old 2012 Titanium...now I have two bolt indentations in my rear bumper. She felt so bad she cried for five minutes before she called me to tell me...anyway, does anyone have any experience on fixing this type of thing? Do I need to get the whole bumper repainted, or are there any less expensive options? It seems like I've heard of touch up people doing work on used car lots before...

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
In my experience with my past vehicle, if you have a plastic bumper and it's scratched down to the original plastic or primer you can't just repaint it and cover it up, supposedly buffing then paint doesn't work either...

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I've repainted my bumper with no issues even though it was rubbed down to the plastic. The hard part is getting the paint to match up perfectly. With your car being so new, the existing paint will not be faded or anything but it still will be very hard to get everything to look exactly like new unless you do the whole bumper, at least with my experience with this.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Best option, unless you are a professional body repair person, is to take it to a shop.

If it is fixable, they will use a flexible filler, or possibly heat and re-form depending on how bad the indents are. They will then sand, and paint, most likely only blend in that area with basecoat, and then re-clear the whole bumper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts