Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever looked into dealing with bump steer? I havent started measuring but from looking at it and with lowered suspension angles it doesnt look goo and anything done to reduce bumpsteer would be nice.

That horrible tie rod angle.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Never had a issues w/ bump steer on a foci. A foxbody, yea. Run your suspension thru the travel & see if the wheels go in & out. Do that on a alignment rack on a foxbody & your raising the rack up & adding spacers on the tie rod ends.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I haven't had a real issue, but any improvement, if there is one, would be great.
Do you have bump steer? I found that hard to believe. What are you looking or wanting to do? What do you want out of the car? What suspension mods do you have?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty much everything has some level of bumpsteer, from what i understand. I'm looking to reduce bumpsteer if possible. Lol

The car is turning a slow transformation into a road race or time attack car. In the process of getting hotbits and converting the rear to coilovers.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Jack up your car & look at the angles of the A-arms & the steering arms. Are they in the same plane?= yes. To find bump steer you'll need to go thru the travel & see if the wheels go in & out thru the suspension travel that your running. Going w/ rear coilovers viva focuscentral ones, what does that get you beside's having different avaliaibly spring rates? What are you doing for the front strut setup?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that about bumpsteer, but thanks. I just don't have the tools at home to measure it but I'll probly be taking it yo tf works to have it measured. Since they offer that service on a laser alignment machine.

Hotbits does the coilover conversion themselves it isn't the fc kit. It just helps with spring selection. Front is going to be hotbits too, dunno about spring rates. Still working on that. If you want to talk about that we should do it in my build log. I don't want to derail this thread.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
OK,,, got it.

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
Pop springs off struts (so you can check under full compression too) and simply jack car up and down while shooting a line down across the front tire faces to check for changes. Turning plates or slick concrete to allow tire to squirm sideways easily helps. It worked fine on 200 mph race cars. You'll need to know zero neutral ride height for a standard.

The different axles (LCA, steering rod) do not have to be in same plane, rather their operating arcs must be concentric with each other. You can be in same plane yet not be concentric at all. The 'horrible tie rod angle' you envision as bad does not impact other than you totally misunderstand it. The angles often ARE NOT the same depending on the concentricity of the operating arcs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts