Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Focus has just recently failed its MOT and the problems relate to the bulbs etc.

The main issue being if I turn my nearside lights on the brake lights do not work. The brake lights work without them switched on.

Equally if I brake my nearside lights come on. I have recently changed a front headlamp bulb and a few months ago changed a rear brake light bulb but I have not picked up any problems.

Any ideas as the garage were going to charge just for a diagnosis and then parts and labour after that.

Thanks

·
puddins betch
0 Posts
what is MOT and nearside lights ?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Your problem is probably a bad/loose ground connection at the brake light socket(s). It relates to the tail lights and the brake lights having a common ground. It's hard to explain.

With the head lights/tail lights off.....the brake light uses that circuit as a ground, and works ok.

With the head lights/tail lights on.....that circuit is no longer a ground, so the brake lights no longer work.

The fix.....find the bad ground. Might be corrosion at the socket, a bad socket, maybe a loose screw at a ground connection. I've seen this exact sort of problem numerous times (not on a Focus though).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts