Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 Manual Zetec with a full blow through Focus-Power T3 kit and a built Focus-Power shortblock. It was tuned with a stock beat up engine and it made 240 whp.

The old block blew the #3 piston and I believe that it was caused because of bearing damage cause much earlier in the engines life coupled with boost stress and maybe a little creep past 13 psi. A long time ago I drove 200 miles without an oil cap and the CEL came on half way through the trip but it didn’t do any immediate damage but when I took the old engine apart the bearings were extremely scored.

The old engine had a lot of blow by and it smoked a lot out of the exhaust. I quote Tom saying “I have never seen a Focus put out so much smoke from its exhaust”. We figured it was the rings or the turbo bearings. Tom said that it was probably the rings and once the stock engine blew I got a new built block with 500 miles on it and installed it myself.

The PCV is a boost friendly one vented directly to the ground. The valve cover just has a breather filter on it.

The turbo has a little bit of shaft play I guess. It can wiggle up and down about a millimeter(just a wiggle) but not forward and backwards (From moving the stud coming out of the compressor housing holding the compressor wheel in). A while ago the turbo locked when a piece of exhaust manifold broke off and it stayed locked for a couple miles until I got home. I was able to free it by hand turning the turbo at home. I never found the cracked piece the size of a pencil eraser off the manifold but I guess this could have caused some damage too.

I feed the turbo off of the port by the coil pack on the head. I have an electronic oil pressure sensor on the line and I make 50-75 PSI depending on conditions and RPMs. Am I just overpowering the bearings with oil and blowing it into the exhaust?

Well I finally finished installing the new block and after 300 miles she still smokes. I replaced EVERY gasket in the engine and everything else I could think of when rebuilding an engine for big power. It used to smoke all the time but now it just smokes when the car is idling. The smoke is white/blue but mostly blue. As soon as I get away from a stop it burns off the remaining oil and runs quite clean. But it burns A LOT of oil at idle to the point where I can’t sit at a red light without pissing off many people every time.

---How do I make it stop burning oil???????? This is driving me crazy it’s been doing it for over a year now!!!!!!!!!!!! (It wont go away eventually trust me theres too much smoke)

---Should there be an oil restrictor in the turbo feed line?

When I replaced the engine the new eagle pistons/rods lowered the compression to 8:1. I haven’t had a chance to retune yet but it seems to lack as much pull (Do to the lower compression I assume) and it stumbles once and a while. The car is my daily driver and I have to drive it. And if I have to drive it I will get on boost but I don’t put it above 5500 rpms and I try not to do full throttle much at all.

---What effects will dropping compression and not getting a retune (yet) have on my car? Will it run richer or will it detonate?

---Also on my firewall there is a black cylinder canister with 2 vaccum line ports on it and a wire plug. The wires are still plugged in but no vaccum lines. Will the diablosport let me unplug it and get rid of the canister a la 2nd o2 sensor? It looks soo ugly just sitting there.

This car is so close to being perfect but I swear to god if it doesn’t stop burning oil I am going to sell it and buy a big V8 car like a stang. ^%*^@@@%^#*&%@)@^)(*@&*%(

·
Registered
148 Posts
This was hard to read. As I write this I am in the middle of putting a new engine in my 00 zx3.

Unfortunately I have nothing to suggest. You seem to have coverd all of your bases. I assume your valve stem seals were replaced??? Thats where oil found its way into my cylinders.

Best of luck to you.
-Jeff

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Do you have oil in the exhaust manifold? It may be a leak at the turbo (it is oil-fed, right?). Have you ever put too much oil into the engine? You may have blown one of the internal seals in the turbo. So you may have blow-by through the turbine. Do a tear down and rebuilt and see if that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts