Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys new member here just seeking some input in a field I don't have much experience in yet but hope the veterans of this forum can help me along the way.

Basically I'm hoping to turn my already audio tricked out ford focus wagon into a small sleeper wagon (Not sure on going too crazy price wise already dumped $3,500 into audio equipment alone this year) But want a little more pep then the just over 100hp the zetec DOHC motor in this wagon provides.

So on a small-mild performance budget in order how should I proceed to increasing performance all I've done is replace the drop in air filter with a K&N (not very noticeable difference alone) and that's really about it for performance.

Besides the budget being small-middle area (not wanting to go with $5,000+ turbo kits etc. but a few $300-$400 modifications more or less to get a little extra kick) The 2nd problem is that the wagon has 171,000 miles on it after owning it the past 2 years so I'd hate to dump alot of money into the engine for it to just blow up (worst case) but for now the whole car is in 100% working order with no issues well kept up.

Thanks for any input and advice.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Do a compression test and get an oil pressure gauge. That will be the best barometer of your engines' health. Then we can take it from there.

Welcome to Focus Fanatics.

·
FF Affiliate
31,098 Posts
Best bangs for the buck

SVT header and 3 inch Exh rom header back , a good gain of 12-15HP to the wheels
TB
Tune

That should get you an easy 20% gain to the wheels which you will feel and enjoy

Tom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good and pretty cheap for those few parts (compared to some builds), that will most likely be the limits of the car for now unless motor health checks out to be good may try and find a budget low PSI turbo kit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In case I decide to get a little crazy (audio / visual of car is 100% done maxed out) if I do the $1,000 for headers, exhaust, TB, Tune (maybe a little more) And want to install a low PSI turbo kit where can I find something decent for cheap? Any searches I've tried only show $4,000+ Kits that claim to increase power up to 300+hp that is not necessary for me especially in a wagon though it would make a real good sleeper lol.

Thanks for the input gentlemen and appreciate the welcome :)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
TANSTAAFL

No cheap turbo kits that work, under $3,500-$4,000 you'd get better results easier by burning dollar bills in a home made rocket motor on the back.

DIY with used parts, then repair/replace as needed is the only functional way to get a setup working cheaper (for now).

Here's a worst case example of a cheap kit for another engine:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479177

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow that's a pretty never ending bad time with the cheaper kit. it seems like I'll just be better off without the headache and just do the basic bolt on TB, Exh, Headers and tune. Possibly swap out the K&N Drop in filter for a full cold air intake tube/filter (see if that helps gain a few over the airbox design)

Well with what I'm planning on doing now with the above parts I have 1 final question about the tune everything else is basically plug/play or bolt on parts... the "tune" I never had a vehicle have a tune done so what exactly does this do to the vehicle and also the wagon tops out at 108-112mph before it cuts out "seems like a speed govn" does a tune remove this? I've read alot of different answers throughout google but the info I've been reading here seems the most accurate so would rather ask here.

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
You know those hanging revs that never go down? Those are gone.

those mods you just spent money on? You get the most out of them.

Tom can elaborate more than I can. His business anyways.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ yup, and speed/rev limiters can be eliminated/adjusted as well. It gives you custom tuning & fine tuning for your vehicle, without some of the constraints of a factory tune.

Factory "tune" is made to work for any car with that engine from that year, with stock components attached & limited by emissions/liability concerns. Custom can make improvements/changes even when still "stock", and take advantage of other changes beyond the minimal adjustment the stock system can do.

Most common "cheap" turbo kit I've seen is a "universal" one, with tubing sections you have to cut & fit to hopefully find a combination that works. All the parts supplied are Chinese (inexpensive version), and I've seen reports of turbos needing to be rebuilt immediately for leaking seal problems. "Tuning" isn't included, so once you get enough pieces together & installed that it might work you need to hook up with a tuner for a flasher & custom tuning. (that adds about $600 right there) Now the $2,000 kit is $2600, and usually more for extra parts needed. You're $750 at most cheaper than a kit that would bolt on & work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right it's one of those things it's better to not be cheap about I understand lol.
Now trying to do some research on a good combination (brand and size wise) for throttle body, exhaust size, etc any suggestions? I have now a strict $2,000 limit not $1 over (any cheaper would be better) for the following

Throttle Body
Exhaust
Headers
Cold air intake
Tune

roughly $400 each some being a little higher/lower. whats a good setup for these parts in the meantime I'll keep trying to look through the forums to see what I can find. thanks

EDIT:I just recently 1 month ago replaced the rear drums/shoes etc and front rotors/pads up front brand new everything brakes work great. The car will rarely see over 70mph not building a race car / track car so would it really be worth it to do suspension/brake work etc etc.? I didn't really think it would be needed but again I'm new to performance modding so I'm all for learning thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
The only tb size I ever found was 65mm. New they run about 250, I have the bbk one and love it.

Exhaust either borla or fswerks stealth are the most popular. I'll let those who own them expand on that. Iirc 600

Cai, if you're going for noise I'll let others go on. If you want powers supposedly svt set up is best. No idea on pricing.

Tune, 400 from Tom

Headers, svt. Used sets usually run around 450 for the whole setup, or so I've seen. Cfm has just the header listed for 300, dipstick stuff for 40 and the orp iirc is ~100.

I'll try to get better pricing when I'm off my phone.

Imho I feel like I have a better bang per buck on suspension. Car is more responsive ECT. For brakes get awesome pads and avg rotors. Stainless steel braided brake lines gives the car more responsive braking and imo I feel like I cam stand on them harder before abs or skidding comes into play.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Not too sure how much I'd care for performance w/ those giant subs in the back...

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Improve your handling and braking.
This.

The car will rarely see over 70mph not building a race car / track car so would it really be worth it to do suspension/brake work etc etc.?

With all the weight you've added, do you think you can stop as quickly as a car without that added weight?

Safety is the first and foremost mod everyone should do. There is a 100% chance they aren't using all of the power right now. Adding more to mediocre brakes and suspension is only asking for trouble.

Things don't have to be larger. Quality parts in good working order and a fluid that can handle the added heat is enough.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
sprung vs unsprung is vital

I have told my daughter for years, power does not matter. It is is about how a car stops and handles is all that matters.

Slower is faster.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agreed the weight of all the equipment in car wasn't really factored in when the new brakes were done all around. They do stop the car on a dime though from 30-40mph and within a few seconds from around 60. Of course they are brand new though and this may not be as good over time as some better ones.

Also I wasn't really wanting a suped up car or race car as I added in the first post when asked about why go for performance with all the weight in the car it's because I feel like with the extra weight I need the performance to make up for it not really to go any faster.

Can't wait to try these out and hope all goes smooth. Watching tutorial vids all bolt ons seem pretty easy besides the SVT headers seem like it may take a little patience for a newbie but I can't wait to get into it! thanks for the help tips and suggestions guys I've been learning a bit on these forums already in just these last few days.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The advantages of the handling improvements are:

1. You don't have to slow down for the corners (no need for brakes)

2. Because you didn't slow down, you don't have to speed up again (no need for power)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wagon Work

I have a ZTW with high mileage, and if the extra weight is bothering you i would check out the suspension first(those rear indepenent suspension parts on the wagon are NOTORIOUS for going bad, like control arms and the like) as well as check brakes and mounts. for exhaust, keep your eye out for an svt that is being parted out or someone listing on craigslist. I got everything I needed for my wagon to do the swap for about 200 bucks(header, cat, exhaust) you will need the svt dipstick tube and dipstick as well as add a bit to the exhaust to take make the piping work length wise. Yeah Borla and whatever are great exhaust, but do you want to buy an expensive exhaust and then turn around and hack on it to make it fit?

Volant makes a CAI that you can use, thats what I am getting next. My wagon has about 200k on it so i am kind of in the same boat as you. You will be amazed what you can find for this car on craigslist and the like if you are patient, my experience buying from enthusiasts like us is that there is usually no budge on the price :)

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alrighty guys heres the newest. The green focus wagon (in the avatar) is on it's last leg (wheel) so to speak. Had a whole list of parts go bad the last 2 weeks (suspension wise and transmission is toast) so I bought a 2001 zx3 stock 82,000 miles super clean 5 spd manual. I'll be doing a small build in it audio wise and for performance I been looking for the following but can't find more then a few things. Heres what I got so far and what I need still.

Found-
$250 BBK 65mm throttle body
$400 Tune from Tom

Still looking for a CAI, Headers, exhaust to be finished. I found a volant CAI but I need something that will leave the battery uncovered and the ram air design covers it.

Also Used svt headers/exhaust are all gone from SVT's at local scrap yards.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts