Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking into getting a zetec short block from c-f-m.com and the ford racing cylinder head from them also...... i am also looking into getting focus central light weight pistons, eagle connecting rods, comp cams ( 1800 rpms to 7000 rpms ), cfm cam gears, cfm underdrive pulley, fidanza 9lbs flywheel, and a spec stage 2 racing clutch...... if any one has any other ideas or think something that im doing is wrong and something that i dont need to do then let me know....... not really sure if i NEED anything else or if i could just piece everything together using all that stuff and stock parts ( i already know that im getting a 4-2-1 racing header and all that good stuff, i mean other things like fuel injectors, fuel rail, etc.)..... i also have no idea what i have to do with the computer so if someone would like to help me out and let me know then it would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I think most will tell you to go with an SCT Chip and tune for the computer part. I think stand alone engine management is a little overkill. Once you get everything together, i would get a shop to dyno tune the car to its peak hp.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
no, it utilitizes the stock computer but it reprograms its settings to whatever tune you want. So the computer can make the most available horsepower with what you've done to the motor. If you want an entirely new comptuer setup, you are looking for stand alone engine management which is usually very expensive. The one name i see alot in the compact world is Pectel.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Im currently thinking of doing this... building a bad ass zetec motor... But id Turbo mine... along the same lines as you... but im getting mine built... im not to smart on the whole engine part... But Roush turbo is like what 10psi ? the way friend was talking i could do between 10psi and 25 psi... and 10psi lays down like 90 more hp and tq... so 25psi would be insane.

Smitty

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
25psi you better have a hell of a motor. My cousins mustang 5.0 is built...i mean high dollar and he runs 20-25psi and still gets oil blow-by...he breaks something everytime he drives the car too. Axles, transmissions, etc etc etc. For street cars, i'd stay below 15 psi. Just for normal driving you don't need the massive amounts of boost and power :) unless you just wanna have a lot of fun and tickets hehe

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
if you are looking into large amounts of boost i would look into the cgi block because its considerably stronger. also i would think you would have a hard time locating a set of FC pistons so i would probably look into a different brand. also if you are planning to make it into an "srt4 EATER" you WILL need some form of boost. believe me i have a lot more in my car then you currently do and i dont really stand a chance against an srt4 if they can drive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am looking at a FI maybe later on ( i think if i do it i will go with the pro charger) im just wanting to get the basics and make it fast first..... im hoping with everything i am going to be getting about 200 hp na.... i dont know if thats a little far fetched but thats what i would like to get...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what are some things i have to watch out for???? anything i might not be worried about and might turn out to be a huge prob? and what do you think about running 10psi with stock compression?

·
Registered
83 Posts
you might want to think about getting the svt intake manifold setup if your going N/A

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i hear that but what im really worried about is the getting the car on a dyno and getting it tuned........ i dont know where there is a performance shop that can do all that around the kc missouri area...... and im also worried about all of the electronics whenever i build and put in the new motor....... im pretty good at learning stuff fast and learning it while i do it, but for some reason this really intimidates me.... i just dont want to spend all this money then mess everything up or not be able to finish it...... i need a pep talk!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
dont forget all new stuff like tensioners,and other pulleys etc as well as new belts. and sensors.

you don't wanna build a new engine then put on old stuff ad risk having the small stuff fail since you were too cheap to buy new ones.

oh and you'll be fine on the stock block. it's been used in cars with excess of 400whp and not had a problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so on a scale of 1-10 how hard is this actually going to be? and keep on giving me things that i might not be thinking about or i might forget! anything will help, THANKS!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
it really depends on ur experience of building an engine and the tools you have available, because a tiny little mistake in the bottom end could end up costing u a lot of money when u fire it up. just take your time and do everything right and you should be fine, and if you don't think u can do something, then try to find somebody who has done it before to help you. if you have trouble with something there are plenty of capable people on this forum who can help out. MIKE

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks man..... if there are any people in the kansas city missouri area who would want to help build this that might know more than me then let me know....... and any more advice would be awesome, thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
what i noticed when disassembling a blown zetec is that you should have a good set of torx wrenches (male + female) for some of the accessories on the engine, also some of the studs on the engine. also just double check that everything is TQ'd correctly. i'd buy a new TQ wrench and have another one as well and double check everything. also don't forget engine assembly lube.

if you take your time you should be able to put it together in a day then drop it in the next day. the engine its self is actually fairly simple.

·
FF Affiliate
158 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Everyone basically gave you good pointers so all i can tell ya is Good luck and i hope your new ZETEC engine is a monster when you're done![^]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts