Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a college student is making me think about making my own front strut bar. I know its only $100 or so, but now that I got it in my head, I kinda want to try and see if I can do it.

So my question is this: Has anyone on here done this? If not, can someone go out to thier car and do some measurements on thier strut bar? I got access to all teh round bar and steel plat and weld I could ever need, so that is not a problem. I figure I am giong to end up designing it as I go, but I was hoping someone could give me some numbers so I know where to start.

Thanks for checking in!

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Design it so you can attach it to the firewall, that way it can do something, I'd even buy it even though I already have the Focussport one.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Against the firewall??? Isnt that where the fusebox and clutch/brake booster is?

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Yes, but there may be room to bolt it around them, I really am not sure I was just throwing the idea out there to see if it could be done

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
the strut its self is 19 to 20 inches, there is a front suspension lower arm ball

joint are you looking for the lower arm as the strut bar or are you looking for

the strut its self?

its a very cool idea!!! strut bars 20 inches????!

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
There's no practical way to install a straight strut bar due to under hood obstructions and limited space, All the aftermarket bars for a Focus have convoluted alignments. Every bend weakens the effectiveness of the bar. Because of the routing there's no practical way to give you measurements and angles. I suggest you design a pattern with some steel rod (1/8" or so) and then transfer those lengths and angles to some high quality steel tubing. A triangulated brace (see my avatar) is the superior and preferred design, but once again, it would be very difficult to do on a Focus.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I figured I would be doing little triangle braces on the bends, but it is good that someone else on here is thinking along the same lines.

Yes, I am talking about a strut tower brace.

I may have to just wing it from here. Oh well. Anything would be better than what I got (nothing).

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you could tie it in to the firewall just below the cowl that would strngthen the subframe as a whole.
I'm buying a used one and once I bolt it up I plan on adding to it so that it'll be tied in to the firewall...I'm hoping to line it up in the middle but we'll see.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
We may be getting away from the intended purpose of a strut bar which is to strengthen and prevent the strut/shock towers (and the strut or shock) from flexing inwards and outwards. Mounting a strut bar to the top of the tower or the strut/shock is a time proven way of doing this. As surprising as it seems the top of the shock/strut can transmit considerable loads to the chassis in undesirable vectors (directions).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts