Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I have a 2016 2.0L DOHC Focus se that is now pushing 230HP instead of its stock 160HP. I have a stage 3 chip and a ram air intake. Before I go any further on this build I need to actually build the engine but I don’t know what parts I would need. I plan to turbo it and that means I need a header and forged internals as well as better head bolts. Where should I start looking for these parts and if you could help me in my search that would be awesome by sending me links to the sights I can get the parts. Also if you guys have connections to getting a RS good and bumper that will fit a 2016 Ford Focus that would be awesome. Thanks you guys and I hope to get some responses soon.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok I have a 2016 2.0L SOHC Focus se that is now pushing 230HP instead of its stock 160HP. I have a stage 3 chip and a ram air intake. Before I go any further on this build I need to actually build the engine but I don’t know what parts I would need. I plan to turbo it and that means I need a header and forged internals as well as better head bolts. Where should I start looking for these parts and if you could help me in my search that would be awesome by sending me links to the sights I can get the parts. Also if you guys have connections to getting a RS good and bumper that will fit a 2016 Ford Focus that would be awesome. Thanks you guys and I hope to get some responses soon. View attachment 308324
Not tryna be rude or anything, but I don’t think foci came sohc in 2016? Correct me if im wrong lol, but I highly doubt a chip added 70 hp

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
No chip or tune is adding 70 horsepower to a naturally aspirated engine.

Please tell us how you know your car is making 230 horsepower at the crank.
The new Mazda 3 2.5 turbo makes 227 horsepower on 87 and 250 on 93. Sorry there's just no way your car is making that much power.

Not trying to be a jackass but I've been into car modding for a long time.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,726 Posts
Need I say it?.................truth is not truth. We're going to be dealing with this for a looong time. Unreality is the new reality. I wonder what they think next when they jump off a cliff thinking they can fly?

That there laddy buck be trippin' out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No chip or tune is adding 70 horsepower to a naturally aspirated engine.

Please tell us how you know your car is making 230 horsepower at the crank.
The new Mazda 3 2.5 turbo makes 227 horsepower on 87 and 250 on 93. Sorry there's just no way your car is making that much power.

Not trying to be a jackass but I've been into car modding for a long time.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Either way that wasn’t the point I’m trying to mod my car further and I’m asking questions about that, I’m not trying to be rude but none of the comments have been helpful so far I wasn’t asking for your opinion or anyone else’s of what my car does or doesn’t make in HP I was asking about forged internals and a header.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not tryna be rude or anything, but I don’t think foci came sohc in 2016? Correct me if im wrong lol, but I highly doubt a chip added 70 hp
Thanks for the heads up about the dohc I honestly didn’t look into it and was going off of what I was told and that was my own ignorance but yes my car is pushing 230 hp it wouldnt be able to keep up with my buddies 2020 Dodge Charger with a 3.6L or my other buddies 2.3L eco boost mustang if it didn’t.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
People aren't being helpful because what you're saying is ridiculous. It's simply not possible for you to have 230 hp from a "ram air" and a chip... The fact that you say it's a stage 3 makes me chuckle lol. Chips don't do anything but make you think it's more powerful because of the money you spent. Even with tuning software and proper datalogging you'll only see a little extra power, but that's in addition with other mods such as power adders and/or intake manifold, header, cams, etc. A tune will make it run more efficient with the parts you've modified or changed out because the car wasn't designed to run with them.

To answer your question, yes, you can buy forged internals. Even if you were at 230 hp, forged internals won't net any extra power. You'll possibly changed your compression ratio (which you will need to throw out your stage 3 chip and datalog with someone and buy an SCT tuner). Stock internals can handle more than 230 and it would take some serious parts and lots of dyno time or forced induction. If you want to toss money at someone, focus-power, massive speed system, and fswerks are the big ones who can point you in the right direction.

I recommend you do lots of research. The search button has more information.

·
Registered
559 Posts
70HP jump with bolt ons and a chip on a focus is extremely un likely unless your torque increased significantly and RPM band went up another 5000rpms. 70HP increase is what some stock turbo'd cars with good internals can achieve - neither of which a focus SE has.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the heads up about the dohc I honestly didn’t look into it and was going off of what I was told and that was my own ignorance but yes my car is pushing 230 hp it wouldnt be able to keep up with my buddies 2020 Dodge Charger with a 3.6L or my other buddies 2.3L eco boost mustang if it didn’t.
Apparently you're being told alot of things that are not accurate. i suggest you do your own research before claiming that you kept up with either of those cars with an SE

·
Registered
59 Posts
They‘re busting in you as ignorance is the right word.

Sorry but you’re not alone. Too many don’t get that it takes time to learn, then more time to research, make mistakes etc.

Many think if you add an “intake”, a tune, exhaust etc you’ll add the various numbers. Hence why you were probably told that figure. The reality is the parts have to work together. The old air pump analogy is the best way to understand things.

You need fuel, air, and spark to make the engine go boom. Multiple each boom thousands of times and multiply that by how big a boom. Basically more air and more fuel and a bigger boom. Aka power.

Now add in car weight, gear ratios, tires, shocks, driver skill and luck and road conditions and who knows why you “won”.

If that doesn’t make sense I once had a kid tell me he added 25 hp to his Toyota with a K&N. When I told him that was UP TO and that there was no way that he could get that much when my Fox Body Mustang 5.0 only MAYBE got 5 hp and probably closer to 2 (I didn’t dyno that engine as it was stock and I had just got the car)

To give you an idea, I built an engine for it. Ford Racing block (no hp improvement and extra weight so it actually was a performance negative initially. But it was much stronger, than the stock block. So when I added all of the right parts it wouldn’t blow up)

To make serious power, after the block I chose a stroker crank. H beam rods, pistons to match the cam, heads, intake, injectors, throttle body, etc.

I matched all of that with the transmission and rear gears. And the car is now scary fast. But it all works as the parts were picked to work together, computer simulations run, and some advice by the suppliers.

The bottom line is I personally like your enthusiasm. But you have a lot to learn. Hell I’ve been messing with cars for decades and I still have stuff I can learn. He’ll what I can’t do, I have a shop that builds NASCAR help me out and the owner and his son still learn things all the time. So don’t take it personally.

take the time to learn. Doubt the common BS or what we call bench racing, and figure out who know their stuff. For instance, I know the Tom in NC who does the turbos and tunes knows his stuff. I don’t get on here much so I'm not sure who else is good. But read read read.

and good luck.

oh and start small. Start small and make the car fun. Trust me, an overbuilt or incorrectly built car may be fast but it’s no fun to drive on the street.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does your uncle work at nintendo too and he has already beaten super mario 12?
Tom has been tuning foci for longer than anyone and he gets maybe 10% of what you are claiming you got out of a tune.
A stage 3 tune usually requires intake, exhaust, manifold, fuel pump, plugs, larger turbo, upgraded IC, probably some beefier mounts and clutch to deal with the power. I think you got sold a bridge.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Either way that wasn’t the point I’m trying to mod my car further and I’m asking questions about that, I’m not trying to be rude but none of the comments have been helpful so far I wasn’t asking for your opinion or anyone else’s of what my car does or doesn’t make in HP I was asking about forged internals and a header.
If you're going to turbo it, don't waste your money on a header, just go directly to the turbo kit. You can probably get good power without needing forged internals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts