Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my daily "building media commands" down to 7 minutes (if I dont do anything else like play songs or use nav during that time, otherwise longer).

Cleaned up ID3 tags in iTunes, deleted all duplicate songs, converted all tags to 2.4 version, deleted all songs with unicode in the name, album, artist, deleted all playlists.

Not sure what else I could do to the 6000 songs in my iPod.

Anyone else having the ongoing building of media commands or should I keep plugging away?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I can not get Sync to sync up with my Ipod at all. I was curious if there is one MP3 player that works best with Sync system.

Bill

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Got my daily "building media commands" down to 7 minutes (if I dont do anything else like play songs or use nav during that time, otherwise longer).

Cleaned up ID3 tags in iTunes, deleted all duplicate songs, converted all tags to 2.4 version, deleted all songs with unicode in the name, album, artist, deleted all playlists.

Anyone else having the ongoing building of media commands or should I keep plugging away?
Not sure on this one. I'm still not getting the repeat BMC message like you but I did clean up and add a few new troublesome albums earlier this week, including some albums with missing tracks. Upon re-sync and plugging it in again it was like it went back to Step 1 and a good 10-15 minutes of re-indexing/BMC but when it ended it ended. No rebuilding after that on subsequent startups. Then, for the hell of it, I added some single tracks that my wife and son had purchased (as is from iTunes) to see. Had to re-index and build media commands again but even with these showing up as track of 8 of 14 (for example, I am just making those numbers up for illustrative purposes but they are single tracks and I had not tackled a non-complete album prior to these two trials) they are working in Sync/voice commands.

I saw in a previous post that someone mentioned that custom commands were limited to 15,000 tags. Don't know if this is true or where he/she got their data but if it is, kind of makes sense. I inadvertently limited my tags to album/artist while learning Picard. Things like composer, genre, etc. I did not bring over and all my test library has tags of "Unknown Genre", "Unknown Composer", "Unknown Contributing Artist", ad inf. Also don't know if assigning something like "Unknown Genre" applies once or over 6200 songs but mine seem to be working.

Have not tackled playlists yet. That is next. Let me know if you find anything new/valuable out if you would not mind.

·
Registered
647 Posts
8000+ songs on my iPod classic 120gb. "Building media commands" and "indexing device" are the norm for me. Oddly, it's very inconsistent and doesn't seem to match up with anything logical.

Tony

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Keep pluggin. Can't remember how long it took to index+bmc on my 8500+ songs last but it was a bearable amount of time and I havent cleaned up or otherwise touched my songs through itunes

·
Registered
179 Posts
I can not get Sync to sync up with my Ipod at all. I was curious if there is one MP3 player that works best with Sync system.

Bill
If you go to the Syncmyride.com site, they list all of the phones/mp3 media players etc. that have been tested with Sync. My ipod Classic is listed as being tested and compatible with Sync. Yet, I am still having major problems in my new 2012 Focus Titanium HB with MFT. My previous car, a 2009 Ford Fusion SEL AWD had no problem with my ipod Classic, worked flawlessly, so again, it's a MFT/SYNC issue.

·
Registered
967 Posts

Hmmmm, you could have a corrupted mp3 mucking things up - its a pain in the ass, but I would totally format the ipod and then slowly add albums in blocks and try to with the car to try and whittle it down. Actually simple reboot may work wonders if you want to try that first.

Sent from my Telus Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
8000+ songs on my iPod classic 120gb. "Building media commands" and "indexing device" are the norm for me. Oddly, it's very inconsistent and doesn't seem to match up with anything logical.

Tony
When you say "norm" though do you mean every time you start the car or every time you make a change? I get them every time I make a change but after that they are gone. I believe Faygo Focus is getting them every time he starts the car, change or not.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tony
Same for me. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the length of time for it.

When you say "norm" though do you mean every time you start the car or every time you make a change? I get them every time I make a change but after that they are gone. I believe Faygo Focus is getting them every time he starts the car, change or not.
For me, every time I listen to the iPod regardless of whether I've made changes or not. Indexing can be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute and building media commands can be anywhere from 30 seconds to 10 minutes but normally in the 2 to 3 minute range.

It doesn't seem to affect the use of the iPod, however. It will accept all the commands I give it while doing its thing.

·
Registered
967 Posts

Hey I just thought of something - does this happen AFTER you plug your ipod into a computer? What happens if you don't and the next day you plug your ipod into your car, does it still index? Does your computer do scheduled backups of some kind?

Its just a hunch, but I have backup software that will change the file date creation index on my computer from time to time when it does its thing, so a file I've had for 10 years will indicate it was made just recently, thus causing the files to appear new to other computers I use with those files. If that is happening in this case, your sync could be thinking you are constantly updating your ipod and as a reaction is constantly indexing the files.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having similar issues with Building Media Files. Unpaired phone, and allowed the system to index and complete BMF's. Completed both within 5 minutes. Paired phone....BMF has not reoccurred in 2 months since setting system up this way.
I use a flash drive with 2200 songs. Voice controls work flawlessly for the audio when the system isn't constantly building media files. I do not have the Nav system.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I just added 24 new tracks to the iPod, bringing me up to about 6200. Went out and hooked it up and sat there as I wanted hard data on the time. Took 13 minutes to index/BMC again so it definitely repeats the process from scratch even with minimal changes.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Exactly what TigerTiger said. I have the same issues.

Tony

·
Registered
179 Posts
Same for me. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the length of time for it.

For me, every time I listen to the iPod regardless of whether I've made changes or not. Indexing can be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute and building media commands can be anywhere from 30 seconds to 10 minutes but normally in the 2 to 3 minute range.

It doesn't seem to affect the use of the iPod, however. It will accept all the commands I give it while doing its thing.
If you have had a MFT/SYNC meltdown, you will NOT be able to have voice command over your USB/MP3 device, until your device has a. totally finished indexing and b. totally finished building the media commands. I have a 160 GB iPod Classic with over 8,000 songs on it, it worked perfectly in my previous car with SYNC, works perfectly in my sister-in-laws Ford Escape Limited, works perfectly in my fathers 2011 Ford F150 Platinum, works perfectly in my Mom's Lincoln MKX.....works like "s**t" in my 2012 Ford Focus Titanium. If you look on the Syncmyride.com website, under USB/MP3 players we have tested with SYNC, my iPod Classic is listed as being tested and compatible with Ford Sync. Therefore, all of the problems I and so many other people on the forum are experiencing are because of the MFT system and all its inherent bugs/faulty hardware/flawed software etc. etc. There is no clear series of events that would trigger the indexing/building procedure in my car. I haven't added any new music in weeks. In fact, just to test out my theory, I haven't disconnected my iPod from the usb hub in 2 weeks now. I still get the random indexing (no voice commands available) then building media commands thing, over and over and over. Plus, since the latest update done to 2.11 I now get the "no usb device detected" error message on the MFT screen....again, it's been in there for 2-weeks, never been disconnected and it was just playing the last time I started the car....go figure, cause I'm at a loss and by the looks of things, Ford just has no clue on how to fix this mess, IMO.

·
Registered
747 Posts
took sync a full week to index my ipod. i'm building commands now but i'm sure that will take a week as well. so damn slow. just leave it plugged in and stop caring, it will work eventually

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine rebuilds media files every time I start the car... while leaving the iPod plugged into the car for weeks. Now I am down to 344 songs for a test. Indexes and BMF for about 2 minutes each. On subsequent starts of the car (without removing iPod in between) it says "Indexing Complete" and then "Building Media Files" for about 2 minutes. Just a microcosm of the same thing over and over again today.

Why would it think something changed when nothing changed? The iPod doesnt change the song files when it plays them... even the play counts is kept in a separate file.

So, either MFT thinks something changed every time... or it is never recording the media commands to memory correctly in the first place... or what it records and what is on the iPod are different for some reason.

Is there a MFT memory test I can run?

·
Registered
647 Posts
If you have had a MFT/SYNC meltdown, you will NOT be able to have voice command over your USB/MP3 device, until your device has a. totally finished indexing and b. totally finished building the media commands.
Not in my case. Indexing/building media commands merely means I am not able to have the song name in the lower left hand corner (red tab) of the screen when I'm not on the main iPod section. I can still use voice commands "most" of the time.

Tony

·
Registered
416 Posts
There's another thread on here regarding this with extensive information and feedback. In short it seems the key to minimizing the Index Build is to make sure ALL the tags for ALL the songs are cleaned up. It will shorten, and almost eliminate, lengthy rebuilds.

USB sticks also have to be setup a specific way. I 'believe' it's NTSB and not FAT32. Either way, if it's the wrong format you'll constantly have issues.

Also it's important to keep your iPod in the same port each and everytime.

·
Registered
395 Posts
JPoP it is NTFS.

And no that is not the correct file system format. FAT32 is what you want.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
395 Posts
And tags are far from the problem... It is the MFT system malfunctioning itself.
Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 20 of 52 Posts