Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a second motor for my zx3 so I may build it and turbo it. I was wondering what the weak points of the block and what I need to give attention to when building. I plan to freshen up the motor new bearings rings hone the cylinders and new gaskets of course. Just wondering what I need to do while its torn apart. I am hoping to pull 300ish hp . Any help would be appreciated

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
^^ Thats basically what I completed on my build. I have yet to get the boost part done but

Forged JE pistons, Eagle Rods, ARP hardware all around, polished and balanced crank, valve job on the head with a small shave, with Crower springs and retainers.

Runs like a champ ad right now since I am not boosted I know I can hit it hard all weekend at the track and will still always get me to work in the morning.

·
Registered
295 Posts
^^ Thats basically what I completed on my build. I have yet to get the boost part done but

Forged JE pistons, Eagle Rods, ARP hardware all around, polished and balanced crank, valve job on the head with a small shave, with Crower springs and retainers.

Runs like a champ ad right now since I am not boosted I know I can hit it hard all weekend at the track and will still always get me to work in the morning.
How much $ do you have into it at this point? I am guessing these items really don't yield a lot of power on their own but more so needed to increase power, correct?

Sean

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
A lot more that I thought. I think I have about 2.5k into it. 1.5k of that are parts and then the other 1k is in motor work. (bore and surface the block, balance the crank, valve job and deck of the head)

Have not gotten on the Dyno but because I went with lower compression pistons I am not expecting more power but more a set up for FI when I get it and for rigidity.

The stock parts can usually handle around 225 WHP safely. if your goals are higher then stronger parts are needed. I think my set up is good for about 500. (over 350 you need to change fuel system to a return style system). I would need better Main caps if I wanted over 500 and possibly stronger rods.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
The stock zetec will hold Up To 225hp
Fixed it for yea.... Much more than that you are highly likely in braking something. It would not be recommended to run more than that in a used motor and as a DD.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
The stock zetec will hold more then 225hp

Yes. But the higher you go the more critical a fantastic tune becomes, as well as quality fuel. One misfire can cause shrapnel.

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
yes. But the higher you go the more critical a fantastic tune becomes, as well as quality fuel. One misfire can cause shrapnel.
#yolo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your eagles will hold more then 500hp I would recommend switching rod bolts but the rods themselves should fine and billet mains are a must if you want to go over 500hp reliably and another issue is head bolts or head studs the stick 10mm studs or bolts aren't sufficient I recommend redrilling the headstud holes and running a bigger stud

·
FF Affiliate
30,628 Posts
another issue is head bolts or head studs the stick 10mm studs or bolts aren't sufficient I recommend redrilling the headstud holes and running a bigger stud
How many ARP head studs have you pulled out of the block , How many have you personally pulled from the block , My guess in NONE

This is BS and the Zetec ARP head studs will hold over 700 hp to the wheels which is over 800 to the flywheel , even Sean Carlson made 1000 HP with them over and over and over again

Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts