Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal. Ive got a 2000 ZX3 that ive just started to add on to. Im planning on getting a turbo put on eventurally. Seeing as they cost 4-6K for a compete kit w/ tuning its gona take a while to get that cash. (prob a year). In the mean time ive bee adding other items to the car. Ive installed a SVT intake, and i have a SCT super chip installed. the next upgrades will be a 65mm TB, intake mani port to match, prob crower stage 2 cams/gears/springs. I was also planning on getting an SVT 4-2-1 header, R/T cat, flex and catback. But because u loose ur headders when u add the turbo i figured that it would be a waste of precious $$ to buy a part that would only be on for a year. So do u all think that i should skip the exaust header, and wait on the cat/flex till i get the turbo and go with the catback now?? or is the catback going to be pointless when i havnt changed the headers so the bottle neck is still in the system.

idk what to do. HELP please!!! [?|] [?|]

thanks again

Sarif2029

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would not purchase the cams either as a different grind would be needed for your FI.

I would not purchase the SVT header for only a year. It would not be a "waste" of money, but it would not be conducive to your goal either.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wouldn't touch the exhaust at all untill the turbo is on, then just get a custom bent 3" or something.

With the money from the exhaust i would look at an UDP.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Agreed. If you don't do the cams and exhaust there is over 1,000 dollars towards the turbo. Decide if you really are going turbo. If you are, put that money away in a shoebox and DON'T touch it and save for the turbo. Also, look into Tom's stg 1 kit.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
u really think that i should wait on the cams? i figured that the crower stage II's would be more than able to handle a turbo?? but if u say that will work, ill save that too.

so now thats 1500 saved and another 3000 to go b4 we get cookin.
if everything goes to plan and i get the $$ this is what next summer is gona look like:

Stage I turbo from turbotom, custom ground cams, cam gears, custom 3" exaust, and an r/t cat

what do u think? and what do u think that will give me once i tune it if I already have a ported intake mani and a 65mm TB and a UDP??

thanks for the input guys.

Sarif2029

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
...the clutch is more important than cams imho, same with lsd,you're gonna want two wheels transmitting the power to the ground....

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i was figuring on doing a SVT trany swap swap once i get all the power adders installed. when i do that i was gona put the LSD in, swap out the clutch, and prob add a lightweight flywheel. so this will be a killer settup once its finished (11k later lol)

-Sarif2029

BTW im also planning on installing the Eibach Pro System Plus kit this christmas

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
why don't you just buy an SVT?....BETTER YET....I hear Tom's Black SVT is for sale..............

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if i had all the money to buy the car i prob would, though i love my 00 zetec ZX3. plus if i buy a prebuilt car thats great but id loose the fun of building up my own car. plus its prob more than i could afford atm. if i build up slowly then i can space the cost out over a year or 2.

thanks for all the info people pleae keep the sugestions comming

-Sarif2029

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
if you're getting a 3" exhaust look into a carsound inline hifliow cat. probably a bit cheaper than RT but still really good quality.

and if you plan on doing the work why not piece together your own turbo kit. it will save some money if you have the resources available (chop saw + welder)

it's not that difficult to do it the right way.

and don't waste your time with the SVT trans swap. bad gearng for the turbo.m just put good synchros in your mtx-75 as well as the lsd, clutch and lightened flywheel. (the money you put in changing to good synchros will be less than the extra cost for the svt's lsd)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts