Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched around all over, found lots of things to remove them..

Does anyone have any recommendations? That normal bug & tar removal stuff in a can?

I have over 900 miles of guts smeared all over the front of the car, and I don't want to go out and buy something thats going to do a lousy job, or not do anything at all.

I also have some yellow.. something.. on the inner wheel wells and down near the bottom that I'm not sure of. Wondering if it may be paint from the road? They're doing construction on a street I go down very often (no other way to go), and they have the torn up road painted with temporary lines. Think its the temp. paint?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
for the bugs, just do what i do, the bounce trick! soak a bounce dryer sheet in hot water for 5 min, then wipe away the bugs, it really works! i use it all the time, but you want to rinse it off real well. as for the yellow stuff, i think you are right, it is probably road paint.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Ditto, except for the 5 min thing. Never had to do that. I just take a bowl of hot water out to the car and keep dipping it. It will take the bugs right off.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
yeah yeah, but if you let it soak a little, the sheet will be nice and soft! and yes, take the bowl of water out there with it.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
There's some good tar remover stuff (that is in a spray can that gels when you spray it on the car). Leave it for a few minutes and it takes EVERYTHING off, amazing stuff. I think it's from AMWAY or something..... I've seen similar products at typical automotive places before though. That 'orange citrus' smelling stuff works the best for all that crap.

Also, get that off ASAP, especially after a road trip. The acid/body juice from the bugs really hacks on the clearcoat. I personally wash my car the minute I hit the city I'm destined to to get rid of all that crap.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
How you doin Terri? lol (said in a northern slang)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I was like.. hmm.. dryer sheets? Someone told me to use those to get the cat fur off the back of my chair & couch..and that worked pretty well... so... what the heck, as odd as it sounds, I'll do it.

Didn't have any Bounce brand ones aroud... so I tried the store-brand ones I have a stockpile of... and they worked just great! :)

And now my car smells like my clothes! yay!

Thanks a ton for the suggestion!

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I've used Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover before and it works pretty well.

I need to try that Bounce dryer sheet thing. I just wanna see how well it works!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'm a little surprised nobody's mentioned clay bar for this, tho I suppose that's cause you don't want to bar the car with every wash.

I only thought of it cause I just used bar for the first time this weekend; my hood is a mirror now [:D]

·
Registered
13 Posts
The prob with using a Clay Bar for bug removal is that you wind up depleting the life of your Clay so quickly (and that stuff isn't cheap!). By introducing Buggy Innards into the clay, your clay becomes "buggified" and not as effective.....
And that, Bugs me...LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts