Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked all over this forum before I posted this to make sure it isn't a double post...

What is the MM Balance Shaft delete kit going to do for me? I understand that it will make my car a little more shaky, but what kind of performance gains would I be looking at, if any?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Better revability, small torque gains.

Do a search on 'Balance Shaft', and you'll find lots of info.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It's just a shaft with two weights opposite each other, only transversley mounted engines have them due to shakiness and vibrations. I heard it was a good 30 dollars spent though....

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
just remeber no one knowes the long term effects yet. there are extra vibrations in the bearings and all the negine parts when you take it out...

with that said, walter marcy is pretty much all but shut his doors...

buy the bs delte from cosworth please

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just curious.. Does the balance shaft make the D23 operate more smoothly than a 20?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i thought that the 05 already had it taken out from the factory; that BS delete is only for 2.3... and that it mainly takes 20 lbs off the engine.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
not only different blocks (if that's true, I don't know)
but also different cranks.

2.0 duratec's don't have a large gear to drive the Balance shafts.
Also 2.3 ranger cranks also are not equipped with balance shafts.

If the 2.3 ranger doesn't fall apart after 120,000 miles, why would a focus?
It's there to improve the "harsh" cabin conditions from having such a large displacement engine in a small car.

However, the removal of the assembly only add's minimal vibrations.
By minimal I mean, My girlfriend noticed it before I did, and after I installed a rear motor mount the vibrations got at least 2 or 3 times as worse.

Usually people with new motor mounts don't complain much - same thing with the BS delete - no complaints from the added (NVH).

NVH= noise vibration, and harmonics.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
How hard is it to do

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
elliottcarlose said:
How hard is it to do
scale from 1-10, I'd say 3 or 4. (It's easier than installing a header on a duratec)

Removal of all of the oil pan bolts, and prying the oil pan without gouging the surface where the gasket meets is the hard part.

There are area's where prying the pan doesn't damage it. Use caution and patience and the oil pan will come off with very little difficulty.

Once the oil pan is off, the 4 big badass bolts holding the BS assembly in place need to be removed. They are torqued on good. I was not able to budge the bolts the 1st BSD attempt. I injured myself from the stupid 8" ratchet. You should have a big breaker bar or torque wrench to undo those bolts.

beware: don't remove all the bolts all the way (leave 1 or 2 half-threaded). If you remove the 4th bolt, the BS assembly will come crashing down on your face or body. (remember it weights close to 20 lbs)

also oil will break out so, Be sure you have 2 oil catch pans (1 for the oil draining, 1 to catch the BS assembly)

The actual installation of the part takes 2-5 minutes, the oil pan removal and replacement take up the other 35-120 minutes depending on tools, and mechanical skill.

·
Registered
230 Posts
so, i guess the question is......is it worth it to do this? i need an oil change soon anyways, so maybe?
do you need to buy anything before you do it? or can you just take it out?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You need to buy a bs delete kit. it has a special plug and a cover. Your oil won't feed properly if you simply yank it out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
how much does one of those cost?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
~$30

·
Registered
230 Posts
since you can reply with super human speed.......where can i get one? thanks

·
Registered
4,805 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
thank you very much, i think im going to go ahead and order that.
thanks again!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts