Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm gonna start on my BS Delete kit and I got some questions for those of you who have it.

1. How long did it take for you to install it?

2. How long have you had it in your car?

3. Did you notice a big difference?

4. Did you notice and cons or regrets from doing it?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
1. How long did it take for you to install it? 1st Time: 2 hours (didn't go successfully so this would be the time required to 1) drop the oil pan. 2) cause injury to myself 3) apply gasket and bolt back in to place.

2nd attempt: 3 Hours.

2. How long have you had it in your car? over 10,000 miles.

3. Did you notice a big difference? Less hesistation between shifts. Noticable decrease of drag at the flywheel. Feels easier to rev-up.

4. Did you notice and cons or regrets from doing it? Only regret is not being able to tackle the project the first time around. Make sure you have all your tools, I didn't have a breaker bar the 1st time so I used an impact wrench the 2nd attempt. Made the project so much more easier.

I couldn't feel the increase (or lack of) interior cabin vibrations. It's a good mod if you feel like doing it.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
1.How Long ti Install... 1 hour 30 minutes, when you scrape the old gasket off dont be too rough with it otherwise you gouge the aluminium

2.How long have i had it in car.... 12200 miles

3.Did you notice a big difference.... same as Foci Fosho

4.Did you notice and cons or regrets from doing it.... NO regrets i would recomend getting the vf mounts helps alot with the vibration @ idle if you have the A/C on id idles a little rougher but like i said GET the VF mounts i just installed the driver side mount like a week ago much improvement over just the rear mount even then its not much vibration makes it feel like a sport car[thumb] i wouldnt use impact gun just use a breaker bar an your MUSCLES[:D] and you will be fine good mod man and its only 30$$ peace out good luck w/install PM if ya need help

·
Registered
345 Posts
same as the guys above for everything but the time it took. took me a while to do cause i did it with hand tools and there are a LOT of bolts. of had it on for about 20,000 miles now and have no problems what so ever.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, sorry for the noob question, but I did a search,
and still cant figure out what BS delete is.
Please help. [???:)]

·
Registered
290 Posts
mshamel said:
Ok, sorry for the noob question, but I did a search,
and still cant figure out what BS delete is.
Please help. [???:)]
basicly, its the removal of a heavy ass hunk of metal in the crank that negates /balances the vibration that occurs in inline engines

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
ONLY the 2.3 has the balance shafts.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Because it is a LOT of rotating mass that drags on the engine and drivetrain. The ranger version of the duratec doesn't even have it and neither does the 2.0

I've been without them for several months now and I'm glad I did the removal. The engine revs freer and the shifts match up better because of less rotating mass.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I'd say the same as the above... Word for Word.

Balance Shafts are an engineering wonder for those that like a engine to be nice, gentle. The 2.3 having such a large displacement for a 4-cylinder makes it pretty jumpy.

I don't care for a comfort. I'd rather have more power to the ground, including some new poly-engine mounts. And since the balance-shafts rob power... Out With Them!

btw, that hunk a junk weighs in at an amazing 18+ lbs I'm quite sure.
I have it sitting in my garage, i'll weight it. If i remember correctly the two shafts inside the assembly are 8 lbs of rotating mass. 4 lbs each?

2nd btw, Cosworth is releasing their version of a balance shaft delete kit. Give your money to walter marcy though. [:D]

·
Registered
345 Posts
i did it with simple hand tools. not that difficult of an install.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would balance shaft removal increase engine wear on the crankshaft by inducing more vibration and shifting in that area (even if you did replace your motor mounts with something stiffer) ??

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
No, it won't change the way things wear at all.

The version of the duratec that is in the ranger DOES NOT have balances shafts. Those little trucks are some of the most reliable vehicles on the road. Removing the balance shafts has no ill effect.

PS, the shafts are ONLY in the 2.3, NOT the 2.0 duratec.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts