Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, all!

I have a 2005 ZX3 hatchback that has brutal road noise--you have to talk just below a yell at highway speeds!

The road noise sounds like tire noise, though the tires (Yokohama Avid Touring S) have about 50% tread remaining. There is no dynamat in the wheel wells.

How can I reduce this road noise, or is it normal? Id rather not run out and buy new tires just to see if that helps.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,121 Posts
Try an alignment, tires would be a contributing factor. Nothing rattles or bumps does it? What is highway speeds for you?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Some tires get loud as they wear, any can get noisy from odd wear like "cupping"/'feathering" particularly after rotation.

Alignment or looseness in the suspension can be the cause of poor wear.

This may have a lot to do with the poor mileage noted in another thread,

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Dynamat doesn't belong in the wheel wells.

Take the advice above and perhaps buy a quiet like the Firestone Affinity touring

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taking your advice! Found the previous owners tire receipt and am scheduled for a free rotate and balance tomorrow! Thanks!

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Silly question but the rear seats are still in the car and upright with the hatch deck lid in place? If so then your tires must be crazy loud. Otherwise it shouldn't be that loud in the car.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Hows your rear wheel bearings?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Let us know if the rotate and balance does the trick. I rotated mine a couple months after getting my focus last year. It was pretty obvious that they had never been rotated with the rear tires at about 90% and the fronts at about 60%. The road noise from the back moved to the front with the tires that had the most tread. It's still pretty freaking loud, but not like tires I've had on other cars that had cupping. The tires are directional Firestone Marathon HPs. Being a cheap-ass, I've been putting on having them swapped from side to side and balanced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After a terrible 4 hour wait in the tire store that the tires originally came from 20,000 miles ago, they said there's no alignment or balancing issue. Bearings are fine.

They said maybe the tires are just very noisy on this particular car. In all seriousness, you have to raise your voice to a soft yell to talk at 70mph. It's very tiring on a long road trip.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Noticing Texas, are you on concrete a lot?

My tires are very quiet UNTIL I hit concrete....

·
Registered
297 Posts
If there is vibration along with the noise, you may want to check that upper motor mount by the timing belt (I think Ford calls it an isolator). I just had to replace mine, but it was accompanied by lots of vibration along with lots of noise.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry the free balancing didn't fix it. I can tell you that my 06 zx3 definately needs the passenger and rear motor mounts based on the vibration at idle, but I know my road noise followed the tire when I moved it from back to front. With 50% tread, you might look at replacing one pair with something basic and inexpensive and trying to recoup your cost by selling your takes offs on CL. I hate to drop the "W" word, but I know you can get a pair of the douglas tires at WalMart put on for about $130. Maybe you'd get $50 of that back on CL with your used tires. One post mentioned the time on gravel roads. I think mine spent its previous life on gravel based on some of the corrosion and stuff I've found on the car. I wonder if that dries up or hardens the tires or if maybe the little pox that happen on the tread from the gravel make all that noise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts